A collection of over a dozen traditional Haitian recipes for every meal from breakfast to dessert and drinks. Explore the secrets to this delicious Haitian Cuisine that so many people have yet to experience.
Have you ever tried Haitian food? No?
Well, you’re in for a treat!
Haitian cuisine is a mouthwatering delectable explosion of flavors that once you try it, you never forget. This unforgettable cuisine only lacks in popularity because not enough people have had the opportunity to try traditional Haitian food.
Unless you are in NYC or Miami or have had the pleasure of visiting Haiti, authentic Haitian food is probably hard to come by in your neck of the woods.
It always makes me so sad, when I think of how many people are missing out! I am 1/2 Haitian and I am lucky to come from a family of amazing cooks on both sides of my family. These authentic Haitian family recipes were passed down from my aunt’s, with sometimes a little modern intervention from me.
Haitian food is a wonderful cuisine to explore for a few reasons
- budget friendly, using basic common ingredients
- full of flavor
- quick and easy, without complicated culinary techniques
So what staples do you need to have on hand to learn how to cook Haitian Food Recipes?
Haitian Cuisine Staples
- bell peppers
- Haitian hot peppers (Scotch Bonnet/habanero)
- chicken bouillon cubes or powder
- tomato paste
- star anise
- kidney beans
Have you tried instacart yet? It’s how I get all of my fresh grocery items delivered within 2 hours!
And here are a few kitchen tools that might come in handy…
This variety of Haitian dishes will allow you to explore a variety of Haitian flavors for all of your meals from breakfast to dessert.
…one more thing to mention since the Haitian Creole language is a phonetical one, spellings are fluid so if you happen to have seen these recipes with similar but different spellings, it is all the same thing.
For example, our red bean sauce may be called Sause Pois or Sos Pwa or Sos Pois – you decide!
so now let’s get to the Haitian Food Recipes
Haitian Basic Recipes
- Haitian Epis Seasoning (Haitian style sofrito)
- Pikliz Recipe – Haitian Pickled Vegetables
- Sos Ti Malice – Haitian Creole Sauce
- Haitian Vanilla Extract
Haitian Breakfast Ideas
- Labouyi Bannan – Haitian Plantain Porridge
- Pain de Mais – Haitian Cornbread
- Haitian Spaghetti (yes, Haitians eat spaghetti for breakfast)
Haitian Main Dishes
- Soup Joumou – Haitian Pumpkin Soup
- Djon Djon – Haitian Black Rice with Shrimp
- Poulet en Sauce – Haitian Stewed Chicken
Haitian Side Dishes
- Sauce Pwa – Haitian Red Bean Sauce
- Salade Russe -Haitian Style Russian Salad
- Haitian Rice & Beans in the Instant Pot
- Haitian Akasan – Cornmeal Drink
- Kremas Recipe (aka Cremas or Cremasse – Haitian Eggnog (without the eggs)
Subscribe so you get notified when I add new recipes to this collection of delicious Haitian Recipes!
NOT READY TO MAKE IT YET? PIN IT FOR LATER!