Last Updated on December 13, 2019 by Chef Mireille
Mexican Wedding Cookies are a classic cookie with variations around the world. These melt in your mouth nut cookies are perfect for tea time!
And to add some Mexican flair to all your meals, check out this fabulous collection of Mexican Recipes.
This post may include affiliate links.
It’s time for Baking Bloggers again and this time we decided to all bake up treats that remind us of SNOW!
…and you thought we were done with cookies for a while…no not yet!
Did you miss the other cookies I posted last week? Who needs to put together a holiday cookie platter with different cookies and are ready to try some new ones this year!
- Jan Hagel – Dutch Shortbread Cookies
- Decorated Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- Kerstkransjes – Dutch Christmas Wreath Cookies
Mexican Wedding Cookies have variations around the world by different names. The only change usually is just the types of nuts utilized and the shapes.
It is believed that these cookies are Arab in origin and as Arab’s were traders, they travelled around the world. Depending on the country it is being made, the flavor and the nuts change but the concept of a rich butter cookie coated with powdered sugar is universal.
Known as Mexican Wedding Cakes or Mexican Wedding Cookies in the US and Polvorones in Mexico, this version is often found at weddings in Mexico and that is how it got its name.
Do you have nut allergies? If you do, you can just omit the nuts. I am allergic to different degrees to different tree nuts. Pecans I can tolerate in small quantities, so you will find my version here with less nuts than Polvorones – Mexican Wedding Cookies usually have.
Feel free to add more nuts as desired!
After rolling your Polvorones – Mexican Wedding Cookies in the powdered sugar, you can always sprinkle with a little more!
These melt in your mouth cookies are perfect with a cup of milk or tea.
Let’s have a look at some other South American treats that can complete your holiday table, with some inspiration from south of the border!
South American Tea Time Recipes
- Chilean Strawberry Kuchen
- Mazamorra Morada (Peruvian Blue Corn Pudding)
- Bojo – Suriname Style Gluten Free Cassava Cake
- Cuca de Banana – Banana Crumb Cake
- Yuca Cake Hondurena – Honduran Style Gluten Free Cassava Cake
- Dulce Poblano de Camote – Mexican Sweet Potato Pudding
- Mexican Mango Pudding
- Lucuma Ice Cream
- Membrillo – Quince Paste
- Sequilhos de Coco – Brazilian Gluten Free Coconut Cookies
- Yiyimbre Muffins – Panamanian Gingerbread
- Yuca Donuts
Winter means snow- with snowflakes both outside and in our kitchens!
- Billowy Gingerbread Trifles from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Christmas Cookie Tree from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Grandma’s Meringue Cookies from Our Good Life
- Kourabiedes Greek Cookies With Powdered Sugar from Recipe Pocket
- Mexican Wedding Cookies from The Schizo Chef
- Snow Ball Cupcakes from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Snowy Mountain Cookies from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Sweet Buttermilk Pie from Food Lust People Love
- White Texas Sheet Cake from Making Miracles
- Winter Wonderland Cake from Sid’s Sea Palm Cooking
Polvorones – Mexican Wedding Cookies
- 1 cup softened butter
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix the butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add flour and salt. Mix until just combined.
- With a rubber spatula, fold in the nuts.
- Mix until fully incorporated.
- Form into 16 balls evenly sized balls and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until cookies are set and just starting to brown on the bottom.
- Carefully roll in powdered sugar.
- Leave to cool completely before storing in an air tight container.
DO YOU YUM? SAVE IT BELOW!Yum
Don’t forget to visit the RECIPE INDEX with over 1000 recipes from around the world including lots of Vegetarian Recipes and Gluten Free Recipes!