10 Chinese New Year Recipes to celebrate the Lunar Festival from Chinese, Thai, Malaysian and Vietnamese Cuisine!
In 2021, we are celebrating the Year of the Ox.
On February 12th, people around the world will be celebrating the Lunar Festival. Chinese New Year Parades usually occur from New York City to Penang. This year it will not be the same, but you can still celebrate the Lunar Festival at home with these Asian Recipes to celebrate Chinese New Year.
Not only in China, but the celebration occurs around the world in all cities with large Chinese descended populations.
Cooking up delicious Chinese dishes on Chinese New Year is one way you can use to educate your families about this cultural festival. Teach your kids about the significance and the symbolism of some of the foods like longevity noodles for a long life or nian gao for family cohesiveness.
Especially if you home school your kids, this is a great opportunity to created added value to their education in a fun way. Get them involved if you can and let them help you cook a Chinese New Year meal together!
Have you joined Kids Korner yet?
A collection of resources to reinforce multi subject learning with global recipes. For all of your kids who love to cook, reinforce geography, history, math and cross cultural learning!
Here are some foods to cook to celebrate Chinese New Year and their significance!
Chinese New Year Foods
- Longevity Noodles – longevity and happiness (use longevity noodles in this stir fry)
- Fish or Shrimp/Prawns – prosperity
- Dumplings & Spring Rolls – wealth
- Tangyuan (Sweet Rice Balls) – family togetherness (although the steamed version is more traditional, this Southeast Asian style fried version is equally delicious)
- Citrus Fruits – fullness and wealth
- Nian Gao – Coconut Sticky Rice Cake (an easy baked version, although steaming method is most traditional)
Download Chinese New Year Infographic
I’ve also put together this fabulous Info Sheet you can print to teach your families about the symbolism and traditions of the Lunar Festival.
Here are some more Chinese and Southeast Asian Recipes to celebrate Chinese New Year!
10 Chinese New Year Recipes
- Scallion Pancakes
- Chicken & Mushrooms in Black Bean Sauce
- Vietnamese Honeycomb Cake
- Hong Kong Noodle Soup
- Puteri Ayu – Malaysian Pandan Sponge Cakes
- Char Siu – Chinese BBQ Pork
- Red Curry Milk Pork Bao
- Nian Gao – Gluten Free Coconut Sticky Rice Cake (absolutely required for Chinese New Year)
- Lunar Festival Walnut Cookies
- Duck & Vegetable Stir Fry
ARE YOU EXCITED TO TRY THIS RECIPE? PLEASE HELP ME CONTINUE TO PROVIDE YOU WITH DELICIOUS RECIPES BY SHARING IT AND SHOPPING FOR YOUR FAVORITE PRODUCTS WITH INCLUDED AFFILIATE LINKS!
a few tools that might come in handy for these recipes
NEED MORE INSPIRATION? CHECK OUT MY RECIPE INDEX WITH OVER 1500 WORLD FOOD RECIPES!