Last Updated on May 20, 2020 by Chef Mireille
This low fat version of Chicken & Mushrooms in Black Bean Sauce is Chinese Food done healthy and with the freshly made Black Bean Sauce, the flavor is awesome!
Black Bean Sauce is a very common item to see on Chinese Restaurant menu’s – Chicken in Black Bean Sauce, Tofu in Black Bean Sauce, Shrimp in Black Bean Sauce etc. Go to any Asian market and you can easily get a jar of Black Bean Garlic Sauce which is the base for these dishes. However, I decided this time to make the sauce myself. It is super fast and easy, as long as you can get your hand on the beans. This sauce is actually not made with black beans, but instead with preserved soy beans that look black in the vacuum sealed package because of the preservation process. You will be so happy you opted for the homemade version when you make this Chicken & Mushrooms in Black Bean Sauce.
One problem though – after making the homemade version, you’ll never want to eat the ones from the restaurant again. Even a lot of the restaurants use the jarred version for convenience. I’ve seen them when I order food from the Chinese restaurants. You’ll instead prefer your own homemade version!
Traditionally, the chicken pieces would be tossed in cornstarch or tapioca flour and deep fried first. However, I decided to create a version a little lighter in fat and calories and went instead with a stir fry methodology. Hope you enjoy this lighted up version of Chicken & Mushrooms in Black Bean Sauce.
As the Lunar Festival is approaching us in a few days, why not celebrate by creating this easy Chinese recipe at home?
It is most often served with rice, but I had it over a bed of brown rice/millet ramen noodles, to add some #wholegrain goodness to the meal! It is also good luck to eat noodles during Chinese New Year as they symbolize longevity.
This is Chinese food done low fat and just as delicious, if not more so!
Since you have saved some calories, how about trying some of these Lunar Festival both sweet and savory treats for dessert! The Chinese New Year starts this weekend so it’s the perfect time to indulge!
Chinese New Year Recipes
Chicken & Mushrooms in Black Bean Sauce
- Black Bean Sauce Ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons fermented soybeans
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped ginge
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- ¼ cup finely chopped scallions
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons rice wine
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon red chile flakes
- ½ tablespoon cornstarch
- Chicken Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 finely chopped garlic cloves
- ¾ cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups diced chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons black bean sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- Finely chopped scallions garnish
- Soak soybeans for 1 hour in water. Drain.
- Mash drained soaked soybeans.
- In a small saucepan, heat oil. Add ginger and garlic. Saute until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add scallions and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add beans and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add broth, rice wine, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar and chili. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 8-10 minutes, until reduced by half.
- In a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in 1 tablespoon water. Stir to combine. Add to bean sauce and cook for 1 minute, until thickened.
- Now that the sauce is done, let’s make the chicken.
- Heat peanut oil in a wok or skillet. Add onion, garlic and ginger. Stir fry until they start to change color.
- Add mushrooms, chicken and sesame oil. Stir fry until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the black bean sauce, rice wine and oyster sauce. Whisk until well combined.
- Add to skillet and toss to make sure all the chicken pieces are coated with the sauce. Cook for 1 more minute.
- To serve, garnish with the scallions.