Last Updated on February 22, 2020 by Chef Mireille
Coconut Bread Pudding
A spice laden flavorful bread pudding from the French influenced Caribbean island of Dominica. Perfect for holiday time!
Bread Pudding is one of those foods that many countries have a version of. American/British/French style bread pudding usually has buttered bread slices which are then toasted and cubed. This is then covered with a rich egg custard and then baked in a water bath.The bread pieces stay intact even after baking.
Caribbean style bread pudding, which is the kind I grew up eating, is a solid pudding made from soaked bread slices. Although I have been eating this my entire life, this was my first attempt at making it. My grandmother is from Dominica and on my first visit in 2007 I managed to pick up a few recipes from relatives and friends.
Before we get to the bread pudding, let’s talk a little about Caribbean bread. Even our white bread is not as soft and doughy as American white bread. Besides all the health benefits of baking with whole grains, the reason I always include some kind of whole grain in my bread baking is to give the bread some body and texture.
White bread was never in my home growing up, however I recall visiting friends and eating Wonder bread for the first time and I thought it was the most annoying thing in the world to eat with its soft texture getting stuck to the roof of my mouth. I was probably the only kid who preferred wheat bread to white, but it all depends what you’re used to.
Caribbean white bread has more body and has a denser texture, yet it is not heavy like whole grain breads can sometimes be. This is one thing I have never attempted to make and I am sure it would take some practice for me to get the texture right. Until I do, I am lucky to have a little of the Caribbean here in NY.
Golden Krust is a popular Caribbean restaurant chain, with locations throughout all of New York and you can easily get a loaf of what they call Hard Dough Bread. The name doesn’t sound appetizing, but trust me – you won’t regret buying this loaf of bread! If you don’t have access to a Caribbean bakery, use an Artisan bread with body and a little density.
This will become your new favorite holiday dessert every year!!!
Coconut Bread Pudding came out the perfect texture. Now I no longer have to wait until I visit the bakery to be able to get Caribbean style bread pudding. I can make it myself whenever I want!
Before we get to this recipe, you might want to try our some other Caribbean treats to tempt your palate.
- Caribbean Sweet Bread
- Jamaican Easter Bun
- Coconut Sugar Cakes
- Caribbean Rum Cake
- Haitian Pain Patate – Sweet Potato Pudding
- Jamaican Cornmeal Pudding
- Coconut Rolls
- Habichuela con Dulce – Dominican Bean Pudding
- Majarete – Dominican Corn Pudding
Coconut Bread Pudding
- 10 slices Hard Dough bread ends trimmed and cut into large pieces
- 6 cups of water
- 1 egg
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup frozen shredded coconut defrosted (or freshly grated coconut)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg freshly grated
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- zest of 1 lime grated
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Soak bread in water for a few minutes.
- Remove the bread and squeeze out all of the water by hand very well.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine sugar, egg and vanilla. Mix well.
- Heat milk until warm but not boiling.
- Slowly add mix while running the mixer continuously.
- Add nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger and clove. Mix well.
- Add lime zest, coconut and bread. Mix well until thoroughly combined.
- Leave to rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Lightly grease a square baking dish with butter.
- Transfer batter to baking dish.
- Bake for 2 hours, until the pudding is set.
- Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
Can be served chilled or at room temperature.
DO YOU YUM? SAVE IT BELOW!Yum
Need more culinary inspiration? Check out the Recipe Index with over 1500 Recipes from Around the World with lots of Vegetarian 🥕🍆🍅and Gluten Free Recipes!
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#25
This post may include affiliate links.
Looks so easy Mireilles. perfect get together dessert..
Looking so yummy & gorgeous…. Lovely presentation. 🙂
Yummy yummy pudding
Wow.. Such a traditional bread pudding.. Texture looks perfect and looking at the spices, it sure must have been a flavorful pudding.. yumm!!
It must be a flavorful one. Mireille, I hope you are fine now. In that maze of emails during BM, I haven't read your original email yet.
Awesome recipe… Love this pudding bookmarked
Coconut bread pudding, the name itself tempts me a lot..Simply irresistible.
I bet with all the spices, it must be very flavorful!
sounds so delicious with added coconut and all spices…I really enjoyed reading the whole post.Its interesting to know about different food culture…
thanks for linking…
I’m a massive fan of coconut. I’m also a massive fan of bread. Oh, and a massive fan of pudding. So kind all my favourite things in one! LOL!
then you will definitely like this Caribbean style bread pudding!