Last Updated on March 15, 2020 by Chef Mireille
Turkish Yogurt Macaroni – This easy Turkish pasta with ground meat in yogurt sauce flavored with fresh mint is a delicious family friendly dinner.
Do you like Turkish food? It is one of my favorite cuisines and is a fusion cuisine in and of itself.
At the crossroads of Europe and the Middle East, some Turkish food will remind you of Italian cuisine while other dishes have their roots in Persia.
Since it’s one of my favorite cuisines, I have shown you how to make many dishes from Turkish cuisine. Let’s go over some more Turkish food for you to try this week!
- Pita Bread
- Carrot Hummus
- Pide – Lamb Flatbread
- Whole Wheat Lahmacun – Turkish Pizza
- Piyaz – Turkish White Bean Salad
- Firinda Makarna – Turkish Mac n Cheese
- Serkerpare – Turkish Semolina Cookies
- Turkish Semolina Pudding
I try to write this blog for mass appeal, so that there are a large number of options for anyone who visits, regardless of your dietary restrictions. I try to offer substitutions for Vegetarians whenever possible.
While this recipe does include meat, Vegetarians can substitute seitan or soy chunks to replace the ground meat. Although I made this delicious and herbaceous pasta dinner with ground lamb, you can use whichever ground meat you prefer including turkey, chicken or beef. In fact, it is most often made with ground beef.
If you would like to make this Yogurtlu Makarna – Turkish Yogurt Macaroni more wholesome, you can use wholegrain pasta. Although this one was made with macaroni, you can use penne or any tubular pasta shape you have in your pantry.
Tangy, spicy and very flavorful with all the fresh herbs. Try this Turkish twist on pasta for a change!
I paired this delicious Yogurtlu Makarna – Turkish Yogurt Macaroni with a simple salad of fresh figs, fresh mozzarella, mint, salt and alleppo pepper.
Yogurtlu Makarna – Turkish Yogurt Macaroni
- 1 pound macaroni or other tubular pasta
- 3 cups plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup fresh mint finely chopped
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 medium jalapeno finely chopped
- 1 pound ground meat lamb, beef, turkey or chicken
- 1/2 cup parsley finely chopped
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- smoked paprika for garnish
- Cook pasta according to package instructions in salted boiling water. Drain and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the yogurt, mint, lemon juice and teaspoon of salt.
- In a skillet, heat olive oil. Add onion, garlic and jalapeno.
- Saute until softened.
- Add ground meat and cook until meat is cooked through and a little browned.
- Add parsley and salt, to taste. Cook for another minute.
- Add meat to pasta and toss to combine.
- Add butter and paprika and mix to combine.
- To serve, garnish with the smoked paprika.
ARE YOU EXCITED TO TRY THIS RECIPE? PLEASE HELP ME CONTINUE TO PROVIDE YOU WITH DELICIOUS RECIPES BY SHARING IT AND SHOPPING FOR YOUR FAVORITE PRODUCTS WITH INCLUDED LINKS!
PIN IT FOR LATER
DO YOU YUM? SAVE IT BELOW!Yum
DONT FORGET TO CHECK OUT MY RECIPE INDEX WITH OVER 1000 INTERNATIONAL RECIPES FROM AROUND THE WORLD