Last Updated on November 14, 2019 by bennrobin
Firinda Makarna – Turkish Mac n Cheese is a complete meal with halloumi and ground meat.
This month is the biannual Blogging Marathon, but due to a super busy work schedule I had to opt out. However, I had already created some great recipes for the marathon before I decided there just wasn’t enough time for me to prepare the required 26 recipes for the month. I had selected the theme of pasta and had planned on doing a whole week of mac n cheese recipes from around the world. I’m afraid you are just going to have to be content with this Turkish version for the month.
This Turkish version of mac n cheese is a great baked version for a twist on an American classic. Although I used a combination of ground lamb and turkey, ground beef would be more traditional.
If you’ve never tried halloumi cheese, you’re missing out. It is a salty, fresh cheese sold in a mint infused brine. It’s a firm cheese that can be grilled or fried and is a wonderful addition to any sandwich or salad.
Be prepared for a number of pasta recipes this month…perfect as a lead in to the fall season I think!
This casserole makes the perfect #comfortfood on a cold winter night. As fall is starting in just a few weeks, it’s time to start collecting some recipes we want to try in the cold temperatures.
It is so creamy and luscious.
Firinda Makarna – Turkish Mac n Cheese
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1 lb. ground lamb
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1/4 cup mint leaves finely chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves finely chopped
- salt to taste
- 1 lb. noodles see note below
- Cheese Sauce Ingredients:
- 4 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 16 oz. halloumi grated
- 2 cups grated cheese any good melting cheese see note below
- 6 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain.
- In a large skillet, heat oil. Add onion and garlic. Saute until softened.
- Add ground meat and cook until browned. Add mint, parsley and salt. Stir to combine. Add to cooked pasta and stir to combine.
- Whisk together the milk and eggs. Heat the milk while whisking to prevent eggs from scrambling. Add halloumi and 1 cup of the grated cheese. Cook until cheese melts. Add mustard and flour one tablespoon at a time, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Simmer on low heat until sauce is very thick. Add this to meat and pasta and mix thoroughly.
- Bake in oven for 1 hour until golden brown on top.
SHARE THIS DELICIOUS RECIPE WITH YOUR FOODIE FRIENDS