Last Updated on November 14, 2019 by bennrobin
Firinda Makarna – Turkish Mac n Cheese is a complete meal with halloumi and ground meat.
This month is the biannual Blogging Marathon, but due to a super busy work schedule I had to opt out. However, I had already created some great recipes for the marathon before I decided there just wasn’t enough time for me to prepare the required 26 recipes for the month. I had selected the theme of pasta and had planned on doing a whole week of mac n cheese recipes from around the world. I’m afraid you are just going to have to be content with this Turkish version for the month.
This Turkish version of mac n cheese is a great baked version for a twist on an American classic. Although I used a combination of ground lamb and turkey, ground beef would be more traditional.
If you’ve never tried halloumi cheese, you’re missing out. It is a salty, fresh cheese sold in a mint infused brine. It’s a firm cheese that can be grilled or fried and is a wonderful addition to any sandwich or salad.
Be prepared for a number of pasta recipes this month…perfect as a lead in to the fall season I think!
This casserole makes the perfect #comfortfood on a cold winter night. As fall is starting in just a few weeks, it’s time to start collecting some recipes we want to try in the cold temperatures.
It is so creamy and luscious.
Firinda Makarna – Turkish Mac n Cheese
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1 lb. ground lamb
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1/4 cup mint leaves finely chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves finely chopped
- salt to taste
- 1 lb. noodles see note below
- Cheese Sauce Ingredients:
- 4 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 16 oz. halloumi grated
- 2 cups grated cheese any good melting cheese see note below
- 6 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain.
- In a large skillet, heat oil. Add onion and garlic. Saute until softened.
- Add ground meat and cook until browned. Add mint, parsley and salt. Stir to combine. Add to cooked pasta and stir to combine.
- Whisk together the milk and eggs. Heat the milk while whisking to prevent eggs from scrambling. Add halloumi and 1 cup of the grated cheese. Cook until cheese melts. Add mustard and flour one tablespoon at a time, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Simmer on low heat until sauce is very thick. Add this to meat and pasta and mix thoroughly.
- Bake in oven for 1 hour until golden brown on top.
SHARE THIS DELICIOUS RECIPE WITH YOUR FOODIE FRIENDS
Don’t forget to visit the RECIPE INDEX with over 1000 recipes from around the world including lots of Vegetarian Recipes and Gluten Free Recipes!