Last Updated on January 31, 2021 by Chef Mireille
Carrot Hummus – Flavored hummus is a healthy appetizer or snack to keep around. Quick, easy & cost efficient. Great for game day parties!
This post may include affiliate links.
Are you a hummus fan?
I am not a big fan of plain chickpea hummus, however I love flavored hummus. In fact, I’ve already make a few you might like to try:
Although I like hummus, I never buy the store bought versions, because I am not a huge fan of tahini and I usually find it overpowering in those versions. In mine, I go light on the tahini and in fact, the Spinach Hummus referenced above contains no tahini at all so it is allergen free for those with nut/seed allergies. However, you can customize this recipe as you like and if you are one of those tahini lovers, have at it and go crazy!
Hummus Party Platter Ideas
Flavored Hummus is a great way to make a party platter. I usually make a triad of hummus flavors. With the use of canned chickpeas, these come together so quickly. Just add your favorite veggie, desired amount of tahini, cumin, paprika, parsley, lemon juice and garlic. Serve with pita and party platter done!
However, hummus can be used for so much more as dip with chips or pita bread.
7 Ways to Use Hummus
- Pasta Sauce (thin it out with a little water if necessary)
- Sandwich Spread
- Base for Creamy Salad Dressing
- Healthy Mashed Potatoes (replace the milk/cream with hummus)
- Healthy Deviled Eggs (replace the mayo with hummus)
- Sour Cream replacement (wherever sour cream is used as a binder in recipes, replace with healthy hummus)
You can customize and add other spices as you desire. Fennel is a spice that goes very well with carrots. So I added some fennel to add a slightly different flavor profile. This also keeps it interesting so if you are serving several different kinds of hummus, play around with the spices a little so they don’t end up tasting too similar, despite the use of different vegetables.
That extra garnish of olive oil and sumac makes all the difference!
Grab your pita bread or chips and you are ready to enjoy!
Now it’s time to check if you have all the ingredients to make this luscious and creamy Carrot Hummus!
- fennel seed
- cumin seeds
- can chickpeas
- lemon juice
- olive oil
- cayenne pepper
- sumac (or smoked paprika)
Have you tried instacart yet? It’s how I get all of my fresh grocery items delivered within 2 hours!
- 1 lb. carrots
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 garlic cloves
- 15.5 oz. can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup parsley
- leaves from 2 stalks of mint
- 1 teaspoon salt
- sumac for garnish (or smoked paprika)
- In a pot of boiling water, add carrots and cook until very soft – about 20-30 minutes.
- In a dry skillet, toast fennel seed and cumin seed until golden and fragrant. Set aside.
- Drain carrots and transfer to food processor. Add fennel seed and cumin. Process well.
- Add garlic, chickpeas and lemon juice. Process to a paste.
- With the processor running, slowly add ½ cup of the olive oil.
- Add tahini, paprika, cayenne pepper, parsley, mint and salt.
- With the food processor running, slowly add the remaining olive oil.
- To serve, drizzle with a little more olive oil and garnish with sumac.
- Serve with pita bread or pita chips.
Don’t forget to visit the RECIPE INDEX with over 1000 recipes from around the world including lots of Vegetarian Recipes and Gluten Free Recipes!