Last Updated on July 9, 2022 by Chef Mireille
Bourbon Peach Jam
This pectin free smoky peach jam with fresh vanilla bean, bourbon and brown sugar is so good in both savory dishes or on your morning toast.
Do you make your own jam?
Why not? Do you think it’s more trouble than it’s worth. Boiling bottles, finding pectin and all that…Well that is so not necessary if you make small batch jam for personal use.
One bottle, stored in the refrigerator, can last for months. So it’s time to start making your own jam, if you haven’t already!
It’s a great way to preserve seasonal fruit and impart jams with flavors of your preference. All of my jams are pectin free and imparted with unique flavors. Make your own gourmet jam at home and save some money in the process.
When stone fruits are in season, this is a delicious way to preserve summer peaches.
The bourbon, vanilla, ginger and brown sugar make this jam result in a smoky, aromatic flavor that is delicious in savory dishes. Although I used pumpkin jam in the original recipe, you can also use this peach jam to make these AMAZING Pork Chops!
How do I peel the peaches?
Peaches, especially cling form peaches cannot be peeled without blanching.
Bring a pot of water to a boil. Place a small x with a sharp knife at the bottom of the peaches. Place in the boiling water and cook for about 3-4 minutes until you see the peach skin start to crack.
Immediately place in ice water to stop cooking.
The skin should just rub off with your fingers.
What is agar agar?
Agar Agar is a vegetarian gelatin powder. You can also substitute unflavored gelatin powder.
What if the jam is too thick once chilled?
Be careful not to overcook your jam. The jam will thicken when it chills so you want to stop cooking when it still looks somewhat thin.
If you do overcook the jam and the result is too thick, simply add water and mix until you get the desired consistency.
After you see how easy it is to make this jam, I know you are going to want to make homemade jam a part of your regular repertoire. Check out some more recipes!
- Strawberry Rose Jam
- Banana Jam
- Blueberry Chia Jam (sugar free)
- Pumpkin Jam
- Wild Strawberry Gooseberry Jam
After you make this jam, you’re going to think – BREAKFAST JUST GOT BETTER especially with Pogacha Yogurt Bread.
Smoky Bourbon Peach Jam
- 3 cups chopped peaches
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon orange blossom water
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/2 teaspoon agar agar
- Place chopped peaches with all its juices in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Split the vanilla bean vertically and scrape out all the vanilla bean from the skin into the pot.
- Add brown sugar, ginger, orange blossom water and bourbon to the pot.
- Bring to a boil and cook on high heat for about 20-25 minutes until the jam starts to pull away from the pan a little.
- Add agar agar. Cook on medium heat for another 5 minutes, until thickened and the jam separates when you run a spoon through it.
- Chill and transfer to a glass jar.
- Store in the refrigerator.
DO YOU YUM? SAVE IT BELOW!Yum
This post may include affiliate links.
Don’t forget to visit the RECIPE INDEX with over 1000 recipes from around the world including lots of Vegetarian Recipes and Gluten Free Recipes!