Last Updated on April 26, 2023 by Chef Mireille
Elevate your soup game with our flavorful Spinach Chickpea Soup with Roasted Carrots recipe that combines the earthy goodness of chickpeas with the vibrant taste of fresh spinach, fragrant spices and the sweet, caramelized flavor of roasted carrots.
It’s perfect for vegetarians and anyone looking for a hearty and nutritious meal, this soup is sure to become a new favorite in your kitchen.
This post may include affiliate links.
Yotam Ottolenghi is one of my favorite celebrity chefs. This UK based Israeli chef utilizes many fresh herbs and vegetables in his cooking. His recipes are majority plant based although he does also create delicious meat based recipes. This isn’t the only adapted Ottolenghi recipe I have presented.
Don’t forget to check out these amazing Stuffed Doughnuts with Orange Yogurt. It’s a delicious way to end a Middle Eastern spiced meal.
This is a balanced flavorful soup with the light and fresh flavors of the greens, but then the smoky deep flavors that come from the carrots and the raz el hanout. It makes a complete meal with the protein from the chickpeas.
This soups is spiced with Raz el Hanout, but you can use any Middle Eastern spice blend like baharat. You cane make your own with this Raz el Hanout recipe.
HOW TO MAKE SPINACH CHICKPEA SOUP WITH ROASTED CARROTS
- First, roast the carrots with half of the chickpeas.
- Now we make the soup.
- Then we add in the roasted carrots and it’s ready to serve!
Garnish with Sumac!
A delicious protein packed plant based soup to get back into shape after holiday indulgence!
Spinach Chickpea Soup with Roasted Carrots
- 1 cup chickpeas soaked overnight
- 4 small carrots cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons raz el hanout see here for my homemade recipe
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons peeled and finely chopped ginger
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 3 ounces watercress
- 7 ounces spinach leaves
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- In a large pot of water, boil the chickpeas until tender, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Toss the carrots with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, 1/8 teaspoon salt and raz el hanout. Roast for 15 minutes. Add half of the chickpeas and roast for another 10 minutes.
- In a saucepan, heat remaining oil. Add onion and ginger. Saute until golden. Add the rest of the chickpeas, sugar, rosewater and stock. Bring to a boil. Add watercress and spinach. Cook for a few minutes until the leaves wilt.
- Leave it to cool for a few minutes and transfer it to a blender or use an immersion blender to puree the soup. Add salt and simmer for another 2-3 minutes.
- To serve, place pureed soup in a bowl and add the roasted carrots & chickpeas.
- Garnish with a little of the sumac.
You might also like
Don’t forget to visit the RECIPE INDEX with over 1000 recipes from around the world including lots of Vegetarian Recipes and Gluten Free Recipes!