Last Updated on December 8, 2021 by Chef Mireille
Stuffed Doughnuts with Orange Yogurt Sauce makes such a delicious dessert or sweet treat for any time. These pan seared doughnuts are perfect for any special occasion or a weekend brunch.
These delicious doughnuts stuffed with nuts and spices were inspired by a Yotam Otollenghi recipe, but I adapted the filling and made some other minor changes to my own palate.
If you love Middle Eastern food, you are going to love these spice stuffed dughnuts!
HOW TO MAKE STUFFED DOUGHNUTS WITH ORANGE YOGURT SAUCE
- Prepare the dough.
- Cover the dough and leave it to rise for 1 1/2 hours.
- While it is is rising, prepare the filling.
- Make the filling.
- Divide dough into 12 pieces.
- Stuff each one with about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the filling.
- Pull the dough around the filling.
- Roll into a 3″ doughnut.
- Make Orange Yogurt.
Balanced with the tartness of the yogurt, these were so good…my favorite Yotam recipe so far!
These were so delicious and due to their mild sweetness, just as good for breakfast as dessert. These made the perfect breakfast with a slice of fresh mozzarella and some sliced fruit.
They are also great for a weekend brunch or a great indulgence for Fat Tuesday before Lenten fasting begins!
Here are some other Doughnut Recipes you might also like to try!
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry active yeast
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter diced
- 4 tablespoons ghee
- Filling Ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons walnuts broken into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar plus extra for garnish
- In a small bowl, combine the milk, sugar and boiling water.
- Sprinkle yeast on top and let stand for 5 minutes, until foamy.In a free standing mixer, combine flour and salt.
- Using a paddle attachment, whiz for 1 minute to combine.
- Add to flour mixture and process until thoroughly combined.
- Add butter and process for 3-4 minutes, until you have a soft dough, with butter incorporated.
- Cover with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel and place in a warm place to rise for an hour and a half.
- Meanwhile, using a coffee/spice grinder, combine all the filling ingredients until ground.
- To make the sauce, combine yogurt, zest and sugar. Mix well.
- Transfer the risen dough onto a well floured surface and knead for a minute or two.
- Divide into 12 equal sized balls.
- Press each ball into a 4 inch circle. Place a heaping teaspoon in the middle of the circle. Pull the sides around the filling to completely seal.
- Using a rolling pin, roll into a 3 inch circle.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and cover with a kitchen towel. Leave to rise again for 20 minutes.
- In a skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the ghee.
- Fry for 3-4 minutes until puffy.
- Flip over and cook another 2-3 minutes, until browned.
- Cook on medium-low heat, otherwise they will get too brown and the inside will still not be cooked.
- Top with powdered sugar and serve with the sauce, on the side.
Need more culinary inspiration? Check out the Recipe Index with over 1500 Recipes from Around the World with lots of Vegetarian 🥕🍆🍅and Gluten Free Recipes!