Last Updated on December 14, 2020 by Chef Mireille
Sookhi Tadka Dal
This is a very simple dal, infused with garlic and dried chiles. Sookhi Tadka Dal – Garlic Urad Dal UP Style makes the perfect side dish with any rice or Indian flatbread.
DISCLAIMER: This website includes affiliate links. You don’t pay a penny more, but I earn a small commission to keep this site going with delicious content!
Thali’s are meals comprising of several small quantity dishes that are traditionally served on round metal plates with many round bowls for each of the dishes.
I did a mini thali representing the foods of Uttar Pradesh, a state in northern India. At that time, I only presented the recipe for Matar ka Nimona aur Mungodi – Mung Bean Dumplings in Green Pea Broth. Today, I am presenting another recipe from the thali representing this state.
This simple dal is so flavorful with the garlic tadka (seasoning). If you are a garlic lover, this is the dal for you.
The varieties of dal that vary from state to state in India are endless. It’s so sad we get such a limited range when we visit Indian restaurants. Unfortunately, the only way you will get to taste them is to make them yourself. I encourage you to try some of these other dal’s until you find your favorite.
- Daineiiong – Meghalaya Black Sesame Dal
- Nigella Seed Dal – Bengali Onion Seed Dal
- Methi Toor Dal – Fenugreek Dal
- Mamidikaya Pappu – Green Mango Dal
- Panchratna Dal – Five Lentil Dal
- Matar ka Nimona aur Mungodi
- Makhani Roti – Butter Roti
- Taheri – UP Style Vegetable Pulao
- Sookhi Tadka Dal
- Lucknowi Style Chicken Curry
- Nimish – Saffron Cream dessert
and if you’d still like to try some other UP dishes…
Uttar Pradesh Recipes
- Aloo Rasedar – Railway Potato Curry
- Jeera Aloo Salan & Thandai – Lamb Potato Curry & Flavored Milk Drink
Sookhi Tadka Dal – Garlic Urad Dal UP Style tastes better even the next day…as the garlic continues to infuse the dal.
Not only is this dal delicious, but with all the healing properties of garlic it’s not only good…but also good for you!
Sookhi Tadka Dal – Garlic Urad Dal UP Style
- 2/3 cup hulled and skinned black lentils urad dal
- Combine the dal and 2 ½ cups water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Using a ladle, remove scum that will rise to the surface of the water. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- In a small skillet, heat ghee. Add asoefetida. After is stops sizzling, and chiles and garlic, until garlic turns golden brown.
- Add to the cooked dal and stir to combine. Add salt to taste. Stir to combine.
ARE YOU EXCITED TO TRY THIS RECIPE? PLEASE HELP ME CONTINUE TO PROVIDE YOU WITH DELICIOUS RECIPES BY SHARING IT AND SHOPPING FOR YOUR FAVORITE PRODUCTS WITH INCLUDED AFFILIATE LINKS!
PIN IT FOR LATER
DO YOU YUM? SAVE IT BELOW!Yum
NEED MORE INSPIRATION? CHECK OUT MY RECIPE INDEX WITH OVER 1000 INTERNATIONAL RECIPES FROM AROUND THE WORLD