Last Updated on May 19, 2020 by Chef Mireille
Lucknowi Chicken Curry Recipe – Discover one of the many regional varieties of Indian Chicken Curry from the North Indian state of Uttar Pradesh.
There are so many varieties of Chicken Curry from India to Thailand to Trinidad. Not only is their variety from country to country, but also from region to region within each country.
In India, each state has many varieties of curry chicken from thick and luscious curries thickened with coconut milk or cashew nut paste to thin tomato based curries and from wet curries to dry curries. I could probably make Chicken Curry every day for a year and still not try all the varieties available in South Asia, Southeast Asia and the Caribbean.
If you are as keen as I am on trying all the different Chicken Curry Recipes, try some of my other Chicken Curry Recipes.
Chicken Curry Recipes
- Malaysian Chicken Curry Puffs
- Masamman Chicken Corry
- Coorgi Chicken Curry
- Caribbean Chicken Curry
- Dogri Chicken Masala Curry
- Chicken Korma
- Dimasa Chicken Curry
A thali is a traditional way of serving meals in India. Served with rice and flatbread, a variety of small dishes are served to accompany them. India is not the only country that has these. In Indonesia, it is caleld a rijstafel, which translated is a Rice Table, as rice serves the center of the meal. Each state of India has its own dishes that are included in a thali. For special occasions, thali’s can include as many as 20 or more dishes. As you finish eat, the little silver vessels are replaced with others. My thali for Uttar Pradesh was a very simple one, but even this mini thali including Locknowi Chicken Curry was delicious.
Uttar Pradesh Thali
- Makhani Roti (Butter Roti) – yet to be published
- Matar Ka Nimona aur Mangodi – Split Pea Fritters in Green Pea Soup
- Sookhi Tadka Dal – Garlic Urad Dal
- Tahiri – UP Style Vegetable Pulao
- Nimish – Cream Pudding
Luscious Curry for any day of the week!
Lucknowi Chicken Curry – Indian Chicken Curry Recipes
- Marinade Ingredients:
- 1 lb. chicken
- 4 teaspoons ginger garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon red chile powder
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- Masala Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon white poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 ” cinnamon stick
- 4 black peppercorns
- 4 cloves
- 7 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 medium onions thinly sliced
- Chicken Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 to matoes pureed
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- Toss chicken with ginger garlic paste, turmeric, red chile powder and yogurt. Mix well and leave to marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- To make the masala, in a dry skillet, toast poppy seeds and sesame seeds until golden brown. Remove to a bowl.
- Add cinnamon, peppercorns and cloves. Toast until it becomes fragrant. Remove to the bowl with the seeds.
- Add all of these toasted spices and seeds to a coffee/spice grinder. Grind until you have a fine powder. Transfer to a food processor.
- Add garlic to the dry skillet. Toast until the garlic is browned. Add this to the food processor.
- Heat oil in a skillet.
- Add onion and sauté over medium-low heat until the onions are well browned and caramelized, about 10 minutes. Add this to the food processor. Let it cool for a few minutes. Process until you have a thick masala paste.
- In a deep skillet or pot, heat oil. Add bay leaves. After 30 seconds, add masala paste. Fry for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add chicken and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and 1 cup water. Simmer until chicken is cooked through.
- Add salt and cilantro. Stir to combine.
Need more culinary inspiration? Check out the Recipe Index with over 1500 Recipes from Around the World with lots of Vegetarian 🥕🍆🍅and Gluten Free Recipes!
Sharmila - The Happie Friends Potpourri Corner
Good one.. Super tempting chicken curry .. I can just see the awesome flavours!!
thanks this curry was so delicious with some rice
The chicken curry looks great & Thali spread is amazing
thank you so much Rujuta
Fingerlicking goodness, chicken curry looks absolutely delicious to relish with some rotis. And that thali rocks Mir.. Fantastic dishes there.
thanks – I am sure you would love this curry
The UP Thali looks awesome ! Nice selection of dishes and it’s so interesting to know that such Thalis are served in other countries .
and that chicken curry – it definitely has a long list of ingredients , coconut milk and cashews always lend a awesome flavour and creaminess to the dishes .
it was quite a flavorful and delicious curry
The UP Thali looks fantastic, and yes I always learn something new when I read your posts, good to know the name of thalis in other countries, will check it out!..
yes the Rijstafel is served just like the thali.
The thali is simple yet comforting, a wonderful spread. Everything on the thali looks good and the chicken curry is so creamy and flavorful.
thank you – yes it was a really delicious version of curry chicken
Wow that is a delicious and inviting thali from UP Mireille .. You are rocking !! How well you have presented the thali 🙂 just loving it ..
coming from you that is quite a compliment as I know I come nowhere near the thali queen!!!!
Love your scrumptious mini thali and this lucknowi chicken curry is very inviting. I bet the chicken lovers will enjoy it to the core. Between I got the reply for the vikings comment that the show is on Amazon Prime. I have prime membership as well. Will watch it. Also, I bet you would watching this show on Netflix. Its about Indian food and stories. It’s called Raja Rasoi Aur Anya Kahaniyaan. Season 1 is available. I love it and learnt a lot.
thanks for the info – will definitely look into this series
That Thali is looking awesome Mir. I can see that you love your job so much. You know so much about various countries through its food. I had heard somewhere food brings us together and I can feel everyday how it does. Great job
yes nothing will break down biases more than breaking bread together
Omg that is a sinful looking lucknowi thali and the chicken curry sounds interesting with all those ingredients used to make it.
thank you – I appreciate the compliment
You have created a deliicious spread there, Mir.
thank you Suma
The entire thali and your presentation of it is so beautiful, Mir.
thank you Jayashree
Wow mir, i m at awe looking at all your thali recipes!! great girl, hats off to your efforts!!! Chicken curry looks meaty! perfect with rice or some bread!!!
Glad you like the thali
Thats a wonderful Thali from UP..Your pics are so so good Mir..
thank you – glad you like the thali
Turned out great. Thanks.
glad you enjoyed the recipe!