Last Updated on May 19, 2020 by Chef Mireille
Lucknowi Chicken Curry Recipe – Discover one of the many regional varieties of Indian Chicken Curry from the North Indian state of Uttar Pradesh.
There are so many varieties of Chicken Curry from India to Thailand to Trinidad. Not only is their variety from country to country, but also from region to region within each country.
In India, each state has many varieties of curry chicken from thick and luscious curries thickened with coconut milk or cashew nut paste to thin tomato based curries and from wet curries to dry curries. I could probably make Chicken Curry every day for a year and still not try all the varieties available in South Asia, Southeast Asia and the Caribbean.
If you are as keen as I am on trying all the different Chicken Curry Recipes, try some of my other Chicken Curry Recipes.
Chicken Curry Recipes
- Malaysian Chicken Curry Puffs
- Masamman Chicken Corry
- Coorgi Chicken Curry
- Caribbean Chicken Curry
- Dogri Chicken Masala Curry
- Chicken Korma
- Dimasa Chicken Curry
A thali is a traditional way of serving meals in India. Served with rice and flatbread, a variety of small dishes are served to accompany them. India is not the only country that has these. In Indonesia, it is caleld a rijstafel, which translated is a Rice Table, as rice serves the center of the meal. Each state of India has its own dishes that are included in a thali. For special occasions, thali’s can include as many as 20 or more dishes. As you finish eat, the little silver vessels are replaced with others. My thali for Uttar Pradesh was a very simple one, but even this mini thali including Locknowi Chicken Curry was delicious.
Uttar Pradesh Thali
- Makhani Roti (Butter Roti) – yet to be published
- Matar Ka Nimona aur Mangodi – Split Pea Fritters in Green Pea Soup
- Sookhi Tadka Dal – Garlic Urad Dal
- Tahiri – UP Style Vegetable Pulao
- Nimish – Cream Pudding
Luscious Curry for any day of the week!
Lucknowi Chicken Curry – Indian Chicken Curry Recipes
- Marinade Ingredients:
- 1 lb. chicken
- 4 teaspoons ginger garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon red chile powder
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- Masala Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon white poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 ” cinnamon stick
- 4 black peppercorns
- 4 cloves
- 7 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 medium onions thinly sliced
- Chicken Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 to matoes pureed
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- Toss chicken with ginger garlic paste, turmeric, red chile powder and yogurt. Mix well and leave to marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- To make the masala, in a dry skillet, toast poppy seeds and sesame seeds until golden brown. Remove to a bowl.
- Add cinnamon, peppercorns and cloves. Toast until it becomes fragrant. Remove to the bowl with the seeds.
- Add all of these toasted spices and seeds to a coffee/spice grinder. Grind until you have a fine powder. Transfer to a food processor.
- Add garlic to the dry skillet. Toast until the garlic is browned. Add this to the food processor.
- Heat oil in a skillet.
- Add onion and sauté over medium-low heat until the onions are well browned and caramelized, about 10 minutes. Add this to the food processor. Let it cool for a few minutes. Process until you have a thick masala paste.
- In a deep skillet or pot, heat oil. Add bay leaves. After 30 seconds, add masala paste. Fry for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add chicken and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and 1 cup water. Simmer until chicken is cooked through.
- Add salt and cilantro. Stir to combine.
Need more culinary inspiration? Check out the Recipe Index with over 1500 Recipes from Around the World with lots of Vegetarian 🥕🍆🍅and Gluten Free Recipes!