Last Updated on December 14, 2020 by Chef Mireille
This post may include affiliate links.
This Tahiri Vegetable Pulao is a flavorful rice dish that is a perfect complement to any meal. This particular pulao recipe is a part of the Awadhi cuisine of Uttar Pradesh.
Making a thali is an interesting way to challenge yourself to learn the intricacies of just one Indian cuisine. I love discovering the subtle differences that occur from one state to the next and sometimes major differences that occur between North Indian cuisine and Southern cuisine.
- mustard oil
- bay leaves
- cinnamon stick
- black cardamom
- green cardamom pods
- ginger garlic paste
- ground turmeric
- red chile powder
- ground coriander
- garam masala
- frozen green peas
- Basmati rice
- lemon juice
- cilantro leaves
How to Make Vegetable Pulao
- Fry the spices in oil.
- Add the veggies and water. Let steam.
- Add the rice and let it cook.
- Add the lemon juice and mix.
What to Eat with Tahari
This flavorful veg pulao is a perfect complement to any curry or even grilled meats…or if you’d prefer to keep it vegetarian, try it with some Paneer Tikka!
You may also enrich your Tahari experience by pairing it with slices of raw daikon or radish, or with some coriander chutney.
For a fuller Indian cuisine experience, try this Uttar Pradesh vegetable pulao in a Thali.
What is a Thali?
Every state of India has thali’s to represent the state. This is a feast on one platter. There will be several varieties of rice and flatbreads, accompanied by a series of vegetable and (when using) meat curries, dal, fried snacks like pakora and will end with a delicious dessert.
Many countries have similar platters like Indonesian Rijstafel.
Here are some of the thali’s I’ve done in the past.
Tahiri Vegetable Pulao with UP Thali
Below is a photo of an amazing mini Thali I made. I love the Uttar Pradesh vegetable pulao right at the center and how it goes so well with the rest of the dishes.
All the aromatic spices make this easy vegetable pulao hard to resist!
- You can make this tahari recipe in an Instant Pot if you have one.
- You may use canned green peas instead of frozen.
- Also, you can use frozen, cut-up, and ready-to-cook vegetables for a quicker prep time.
How to Store Your Vegetable Tehri
Tahiri – Uttar Pradesh Style Vegetable Pulao Recipe
- 1 tablespoon mustard oil
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 3 black cardamom
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 chopped tomato
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon red chile powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 cup peeled and diced potatoes
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 ½ cups Basmati rice
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Chopped cilantro leaves optional garnish
- Heat oil in a pot. Add bay leaves, cinnamon, cloves, black cardamom and green cardamom. Fry until it becomes fragrant.
- Add ginger garlic paste. Fry for 1 minute. Add tomato and dry spices.
- Add vegetables and ¼ cup water. Cover the pot and let the vegetables steam for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Add rice. salt and 2 ½ cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes, until rice is tender.
- Add lemon juice and stir to combine.
Don’t forget to visit the RECIPE INDEX with over 1000 recipes from around the world including lots of Vegetarian Recipes and Gluten Free Recipes!