Last Updated on December 14, 2020 by Chef Mireille
Tahiri – Uttar Pradesh style Vegetable Pulao is a flavorful rice dish that is a perfect compliment to any meal.
Tahiri – Uttar Pradesh style Vegetable Pulao is a part of the Awadhi cuisine of Uttar Pradesh. I had made this aromatic vegetable pulao when I made this mini thali way back at the end of 2016 but I’ve only posted the Nimona Ki Matar and Sookhi Ki Dal. It’s time to complete the thali. Over the next month, I have the Lucknowi Chicken Curry and Nimish scheduled. Then all you’ll need is the paratha to complete your thali and I will be posting that soon also!
Making a thali is an interesting way to challenge yourself to learn the intricacies of just one Indian cuisine. I love discovering the subtle differences that occur from one state to the next and sometimes major differences that occur between North Indian cuisine and Southern cuisine.
Check out some of the other thali’s I’ve done in the past. I would love to know how you did in recreating an Indian thali. Take a photo and tag me on Instagram @chefmireille with #theschizochef and I will feature your photos on my feed!
This flavorful pulao is a perfect compliment to any curry or even grilled meats…or if you’d prefer to keep it Vegetarian, try it with some Paneer Tikka!
Taheri with UP Thali
All the aromatic spices make this pulao hard to resist!
Tahiri – Uttar Pradesh style Vegetable Pulao
- 1 tablespoon mustard oil
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 3 black cardamom
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 chopped tomato
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon red chile powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 cup peeled and diced potatoes
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 ½ cups Basmati rice
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Chopped cilantro leaves optional garnish
- Heat oil in a pot. Add bay leaves, cinnamon, cloves, black cardamom and green cardamom. Fry until it becomes fragrant.
- Add ginger garlic paste. Fry for 1 minute. Add tomato and dry spices.
- Add vegetables and ¼ cup water. Cover the pot and let the vegetables steam for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Add rice. salt and 2 ½ cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes, until rice is tender.
- Add lemon juice and stir to combine.