Last Updated on January 11, 2023 by Chef Mireille
Purple Yam Jam
Puple Yam or Filipino Ube is used ubiquitously in Filipino desserts. Once you have this base you make many sweet treats.
SEE PURPLE YAM RECIPE COMPILATION BELOW
Basically, the recipe ingredients is the same as making Helayang Ube – Filipino Gluten Free Purple Yam Cake. The only difference is it is cooked a little less so it does not get quite as firm.
This jam can be used not only to make things like Purple Yam Ice Cream, but also just spread on toast with cheese for breakfast!
I have been utilizing purple yam for many years, but it seems like the rest of the culinary world has now discovered it and it is becoming quite popular.
I discovered it many years ago when I went to a Filipino restaurant, Tito Rad’s and tried helayang ube. I loved it so much I wanted to learn how to make it and since them, I have been hooked on all things ube. I have even done fusion recipes like Ube Sago Kheer.
Picking Purple Yam
It is rare to find actual purple yam. I have only seen it once or twice. However, frozen purple yam is now easily available at most Asian markets.
Don’t confuse purple yam with purple potatoes. Peruvian purple potatoes are totally different and not a version of sweet potato, like ube is.
There are two kinds sold – grated or mashed. I have found from experience the mashed works much better when putting together Purple Yam desserts and breads. Another way if the package is not clear of differentiating it is the mashed one will be a deep purple hue and the grated one is a pale lavender color.
So why has ube suddenly become so popular?
Well, it’s packed with health benefits.
Purple Yam Health Benefits
- High in Vitamin C
- Rich in anti oxidants
- Some studies indicate it might help control blood sugar with Type 2 Diabetes
- Promotes gut health
- May also help with asthma and blood pressure
MAKING Purple Yam Jam – Ube Halaya
Ube Jam comes together so easily with just 4 ingredients!
Of course, you can now make any variety of Filipino desserts, breads and other treats once you have made your Purple Yam Jam – Ube Halaya. You can also just as easily have it for breakfast with toast and cheese!
This creamy jam has more of a peanut butter like consistency than your traditional jam.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter 1 stick
- a pinch of salt
- 1 12 oz. can evaporated milk
- 1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups frozen purple yam defrosted
- In a large pot, melt butter and salt.
- In a bowl, whisk together the evaporated milk, condensed milk and purple yam.
- Add to pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for about 20 minutes until thickened, and mixture pulls away from the pan.
- Transfer to a greased square dish.
- Transfer to refrigerator to chill overnight.
DO YOU YUM? SAVE IT BELOW!Yum
This post may include affiliate links.