Last Updated on October 14, 2020 by Chef Mireille
Spiced Pumpkin Cornmeal Scones
These delicious spiced multi grain Pumpkin Scones make an awesome seasonal breakfast or brunch when had with delicious homemade cranberry sauce.
This post may contain affiliate links.
What says fall more than pumpkin and cranberries?
These scones are on the healthier side with multi grains, no eggs and just a bit of sugar.
These non traditional scones make such a great combination with homemade Cranberry Sauce for a delicious fall breakfast or brunch!
That doesn’t mean you can’t still enjoy these non traditional scones with the classic accoutrements of bitter orange marmalade, clotted cream and lemon curd.
Although you can make these irresistible Pumpkin Scones with canned pumpkin, I prefer the flavor with home roasted pumpkin. It’s definitely more flavorful and less watery than most canned pumpkin brands.
Let’s check the pantry and add any ingredients to the shopping list we need.
- whole wheat flour
- all purpose flour
- baking powder
- ground ginger
- roasted pumpkin puree or canned pumpkin
How to make Pumpkin Scones
First we mix our dry ingredients and our wet ingredients separately.
Then we make a well and add half of the wet ingredients.
Then you add the rest of the wet ingredients until you have a dough. The dough will seem quite dry, but DO NOT add more liquid.
Knead by hand and the heat of your hand will bring the ingredients together into a soft dough.
Now press the dough into the cavities of the scone pan and then brush the tops with buttermilk.
Now we do a very light dusting of a little sugar on top and then our scones are ready for the oven!
20 minutes in the oven and we have scones!
This makes such an awesome combination with homemade cranberry sauce!
Now are you ready to try these delicious scones?
I can’t wait to see how yours come out when you tag me on instagram @chefmireille with your pics!
Pumpkin Cornmeal Scones
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree roast pumpkin split in half and face down on cookie sheet in 425 F oven for 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 cup buttermilk plus extra for on top
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Spray a scone pan with non stick spray.
- Combine cornmeal, whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, sugar, salt, spices and baking powder in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, butter and buttermilk.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour combination and pour half of the wet ingredients in the middle of the well, slowly incorporating the flour into the center, until you have a shaggy dough.
- Add the rest of the wet ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined.
- At this point, knead with your hands until the dough comes together. The heat of your hands will make the dough come together. Do not be tempted to add more liquid.
- Spread dough evenly between the cavities of the scone pan.
- Brush the tops with buttermilk and sprinkle a little sugar on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the tops are crusty.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes in the pan before removing and serving with your favorite accompaniments.
If you would like to know more about the many varieties of gluten free cornmeal that there are and how to utilize them all in your kitchen, check out this post here to learn all about Cornmeal, Polenta, Grits & more.
DO YOU YUM? SAVE IT BELOW!Yum
ARE YOU EXCITED TO TRY THIS RECIPE? PLEASE HELP ME CONTINUE TO PROVIDE YOU WITH DELICIOUS RECIPES BY SHARING IT AND SHOPPING FOR YOUR FAVORITE PRODUCTS WITH INCLUDED AFFILIATE LINKS!
NEED MORE INSPIRATION? CHECK OUT MY RECIPE INDEX WITH OVER 1500 WORLD FOOD RECIPES!