Last Updated on April 30, 2021 by Chef Mireille
Mexican Goat Stew with Chipotles
Mexican Goat Stew is comfort food Mexican style. If you’ve never eaten goat meat, this is a delicious recipe to start and packed with protein!
Whether goat meat is your thing or not, I know you will love this mouthwatering collection of over 20 Mexican Recipes.
Goat Meat may not be very common in American cuisine, however go to South America, Africa, India and the Caribbean, goat meat is a treasured meat. In some of the countries of these regions, it is considered a delicacy.
Curry Goat is a common food item in Caribbean households. Living in a neighborhood with a Caribbean population, goat meat is standard fare at my local supermarket. I usually make the standard curry but after bringing some home recently, I decided I wanted to do something different with the goat.
I then remembered the best tacos I have ever had were these fabulous goat tacos at Rosa Mexicano, one of the best Mexican restaurants in NYC, known for its authentic Mexican cuisine. At Rosa Mexicano, they have a guacamole cart that they bring to your table and make your guac to order. It’s some of the freshest Mexican food you will ever find in New York. Inspired by the goat tacos I had there, I created this Mexican inspired goat stew.
Birria is the most popular Goat Stew in Mexico from the Jalisco region. However, to make this a protein packed filling meal, I added some beans. Therefore, this recipe is a protein packed version of Jalisco Birria Mexican Goat Stew.
If you have never had goat before, this is a delicious recipe to introduce yourself to this flavorful meat.
What kind of chili to use?
I used chipotles, which are smoked dried ripe (red) jalapenos, but the most common chili to use in Birria would be guajillo chillies.
How to make Mexican Goat Stew
I made this on Christmas Day (2013) and it was loved by one and all. However, the leftovers the next day tasted even better, as the flavors had further time to develop. You can reduce the quantity of chipotles if you cannot tolerate it as spicy.
Are you ready to try goat meat?
Neighborhoods with Caribbean, Latin or African populations will sell goat meat. Here in NYC, you can easily find it in Flatbush, Richmond Hill and other neighborhoods within these communities.
My favorite place to purchase goat meat here in NYC is Gitto’s Farmer’s Market. All of the meat here is very clean and fresh. You can get goat, mutton and lamb here, plus all of your usual meat and grocery items.
I know you are going to be a goat meat convert once you try this delicious stew and are going to want to try some more Goat Recipes.
You can use mutton, goat and lamb interchangeably in these recipes (just in case you can’t source goat meat). However, the goat will take longer to cook.
- Reunion Island Massale Goat
- Omani Goat Stew
- Nellore Style Mutton Curry
- Sri Lankan Mutton Curry
- Daalcha Gosht
Mexican Goat Stew
- 1 3/4 pounds goat meat with bones
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 orange
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves
- a pinch of black pepper
- 3 chipotles from canned chipotles in adobo sauce can
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 3/4 cups water
- 15.5 oz. can black beans drained and rinsed
- salt to taste
- 3 scallions thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro finely chopped
- Cut goat into bite size pieces. Add juice from the orange and garlic cloves. Stir to combine and marinate overnight.
- Heat oil. Add goat and cook for about 5-8 minutes on high heat until slightly browned, just so that a few of the pieces have some carmelization on it. Remove from pot.
- Add onions and tomatoes. Saute for 1-2 minutes until softened. Add chipotles and give it a stir. Add bay leaf, cloves, 2 cups of water, salt and black pepper. Add 1 tablespoon of the adobo sauce from the can. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 1 hour.
- Add 3/4 cup water and lime juice. Cook, partially covered for another 15 minutes.
- Add beans, scallions and cilantro.
- Stir and continue to cook for 15 minutes.
DO YOU YUM? SAVE IT BELOW!Yum
Need more culinary inspiration? Check out the Recipe Index with over 1500 Recipes from Around the World with lots of Vegetarian 🥕🍆🍅and Gluten Free Recipes!
This post may include affiliate links.