Last Updated on November 23, 2021 by Chef Mireille
Golden Beet Fritters – These easy to make beet fritters are the perfect party food. Using just 3 cost efficient ingredients, it’s both economical and delicious!
These Fresh Beetroot Fritters are a popular snack in Finland, where they are known as Punajuuri Pihvit. There it is usually made with traditional red beets. However, since we get so many varietal beets here in the United States, you can easily adapt this traditional Finnish recipe with golden beets or choggia beets.
This is really a very simple recipe from a cookbook I have, The Food & Cooking of Finland for Srivalli’s Cookbook Cooking Challenge. I purchased this cookbook several years ago when I was hosting a dinner featuring the cuisine of Finland. I cooked some recipes from the book for the event and never really looked at it again except for the mushroom soup, which I have made several times. Recently, I have been trying some of the other recipes from the book like Vyborg Pretzels.
Root vegetables like rutabaga, turnips, celeriac and beets are used frequently in Scandinavian cuisine and utilized in various ways. I recently came back from a local farm which allows you to pick your own produce with a bunch of golden beets, which I usually add to salads. This time, I decided to try these Beetroot Patties.
Although I eat beets often, I never before thought of frying them. I used 4C Whole Wheat seasoned breadcrumbs. The breadcrumbs are seasoned with garlic, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and other spices. If you are using plain breadcrumbs, sprinkle salt and pepper on the beets and I would recommend seasoning the breadcrumbs as well.
I have experimented with lots of food from Finland. The next thing I need to do is visit the country, but until we get there lets enjoy some delicacies from Finland!
Traditional Recipes from Finland
- Vyborg Pretzels
- Rosolje (Beet Potato Salad)
- Hiekkakakku (Finnish Sandtorte – Potato Starch Cake)
- Riivinkropsu (Grated Potato Casserole)
- Friteeratut Kala (Fried Fish – Finland Style)
- Paasiaisleipa (Easter Bread)
- Sekahadelma Keitto (Dried Fruit Dessert Soup)
HOW TO MAKE BEET FRITTERS
These are great served with sour cream, as they would in Finland! Remoulade Sauce will also add a bunch of flavor to this as a great snack or appetizer to any meal!
Finnish Beetroot Patties
- 3 small beets boiled in their skins)
- 2 beaten eggs Vegetarians can substitute buttermilk
- 1 cups breadcrumbs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste (omit if using store bought seasoned breadcrumbs like I did)
- oil for frying
- Peel beets and slice into 1/2″ slices. Season the beets with salt and pepper (if using plain breadcrumbs).
- Heat enough oil for shallow frying in a skillet.
- Dip the beet slices in the egg and then coat with the breadcrumbs.
- Place in the hot oil and fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Drain on paper towels to catch excess oil.
- Serve on their own or with sour cream!
Who knew that something so simple could be so delicious. The natural sweetness from the beets coupled with the crispy, savory exterior was delicious.
Need more culinary inspiration? Check out the Recipe Index with over 1500 Recipes from Around the World with lots of Vegetarian 🥕🍆🍅and Gluten Free Recipes!