Last Updated on June 8, 2021 by Chef Mireille
Homemade Applesauce is one of the easiest and healthiest snacks you can make for your kids. Not only is making applesauce healthy and easy, this chunky style applesauce can even be served as dessert on its own.
This easy applesauce recipe is vegan and gluten free, so a snack that can easily be enjoyed by everyone.
This homemade applesauce is easily customized for babies. Not only is homemade applesauce for baby made in just minutes by omitting the sugar content and spices, you can make it smoother by using a blender instead of leaving it as this chunky applesauce. It’s the perfect healthy snack for babies and toddlers.
Although making a basic applesauce recipe is tasty, adding other fruit like mango adds another flavor profile and when they are in season, adds natural sweetness, where you may be able to omit the processed sugar completely.
This post may contain affiliate links, which earns Chef Mireille a small commission, at no extra cost to you.
Table of contents
Not only mangoes, but you can make a variety of flavored applesauce recipes by substituting the mango for peaches, plums, apricots, nectarines or strawberries.
Homemade applesauce is a healthy snack and depending on your palate and the natural sweetness of the fruits you use, the sugar may be able to be omitted completely.
Not only with the sugar content, but you can easily make a variety of homemade applesauce recipes with different adaptations.
Flavored Applesauce Variations
- Use different fruits like mango, peaches, apricots or nectarines.
- Try different spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, or cardamom.
- Flavor it with different extracts like vanilla extract, almond essence or anise essence.
- Since this version is already a chunky applesauce, you can also add some chopped nuts like almonds or walnuts.
What to Eat with Homemade Applesauce
- Often served as accompaniment to pork
- Often served as accompaniment to latkes or European style potato pancakes
- As a healthier topping or accompaniment to pancakes and waffles, instead of syrup
- Enjoy as is as a healthy gluten free snack or dessert
Frequently Asked Questions
Ingredients for Applesauce
- vanilla bean
Have you tried instacart yet? It’s how I get all of my fresh grocery items delivered within 2 hours!
How to make homemade applesauce?
- Combine apples with fruit, a little water and desired spices in a saucepan.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes, depending on the firmness of the apples.
- While still warm, mash the apples for a chunky consistency or puree in a blender for a smoother consistency.
- Chill and serve.
This homemade applesauce recipe is a delicious gluten free snack for adults and kids alike!
- 2 apples peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 mango peeled and chopped
- 1 vanilla bean split
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Peel and core apples. Chop into large dice.
- Peel mango and remove all the flesh from the pit. Chop into large dice.
- In a saucepan, combine chopped apples and mango, water and sugar.
- Split vanilla bean in half lengthwise. Scrape the inside into the saucepan and also place the vanilla bean itself into the saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer over medium heat for about 15 minutes, until the fruit is very soft.
- Remove the vanilla bean and mash the fruit, using a potato masher.
- Chill overnight in the refrigerator for it to thicken more.
- Serve as a condiment with your favorite foods or as dessert, by itself.
NEED MORE INSPIRATION? CHECK OUT MY RECIPE INDEX WITH OVER 1500 WORLD FOOD RECIPES!