Last Updated on December 8, 2020 by Chef Mireille
Overnight Sourdough Waffles – Utilize leftover sourdough discard to put together these easy and delicious crispy Overnight Sourdough Buttermilk Waffles.
This post may include affiliate links.
Do you like a crispy waffle? Then sourdough is the way to go!
If you have jumped onto the sourdough train, you will generally have some discard. There are tons of delicious things that can be made with the extra sourdough starter like pancakes, biscuits and Easy Sourdough Waffles.
These Easy Overnight Sourdough Pancakes require the batter to be left out overnight, so it does require some planning. However, if you are a Meal Planner, then this is easy to be included into the scheduled.
While American waffles are more cake like in texture, traditional Belgian waffles are really supposed to be closer to a bread like texture and are made with yeast, as demonstrated in my traditional Belgian Waffle Recipe. Using the delicious tang of sourdough, these waffles more closely resemble the European original.
How to make Overnight Sourdough Waffles
- Prepare the starter with sourdough discard.
- Leave it overnight to ferment.
- The next morning, add your waffle ingredients.
- Then cook them up in your waffle maker.
Serve with syrup or date molasses (as I did) and fresh fruit.
How do I reheat Sourdough Waffles?
This is the perfect make ahead recipe and you can reheat them just like you would use the store bought waffles you buy in the freezer section of the supermarket. Store them in Ziploc bags in the freezer and then just stick them in the toaster to heat them up and breakfast is ready!
Now, it’s time to grab a fork…
and dig in to these delicious crispy waffles!!!
Overnight Sourdough Buttermilk Waffles
- 1 cup unfed sourdough starter
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Take starter out of the refrigerator. Leave for 15 minutes to bring to room temperature.
- Add all of the rest of the starter ingredients and mix to combine. Leave out overnight at room temperature.
- The next morning, add all of the waffle ingredients to the starter and mix to combine.
- Spray a waffle iron with non stick spray. Follow instructions of your waffle maker and make waffles.
- Serve with syrup or date molasses (as I did) and fresh fruit.
Don’t forget to visit the RECIPE INDEX with over 1000 recipes from around the world including lots of Vegetarian Recipes and Gluten Free Recipes!