Last Updated on May 20, 2020 by Chef Mireille
Low Fat Carrot Coconut Muffins
These muffins are both low fat and low carb, using nuts for much of the grain in the muffin. Kid approved, these healthy muffins will keep the hunger pangs at bay!
Several years ago, I worked as a Nursery School Chef. When I started working there, I did not understand why I was hired to plan the menu’s and cook the food for the three main meals, but not the snacks.
My employer was very diligent in making sure the kids got healthy wholesome food. I only cooked with real food, yet snacks she ordered in. Muffins full of sugar and processed ingredients was included in some of the snacks. I volunteered to make the snacks also. It also gave me more work hours, which increased my income. It wasn’t all altruistic on my part, but the kids got the benefit of having healthier snacks!
Muffins are quick and easy and I started developing healthy low fat muffins for the kids that were always fruit and veggie based. Carrot, Pumpkin and my Peach Cornmeal Muffins were the top three faves of my students.
Low Fat Healthy Muffins
These healthy muffins are both low fat and low carb.
No butter or oil is used. Unsweetened applesauce provides the moisture and only 1 egg is used.
Instead of highly processed ingredients, these muffins utilize nut flours, wheat flour and brown sugar only.
Here are some other muffin recipes you might want to whip up!
- Pandan Puto – Gluten Free Filipino Steamed Muffins
- Lavender Corn Muffins
- Kiwi Blueberry Muffins
- Whole Grain Chocolate Muffins
- Double Blueberry Banana Muffins
- Strawberry Almond Muffins
- Rosemary Blueberry Corn Muffins
These are guaranteed kid approved muffins and you should have no guilt in feeding them these low fat and low carb muffins.
These healthy Low Fat Carrot Coconut Muffins are perfect for tea time or with a glass of milk. Just sweet enough to curb your sugar craving…but with reduced fat, calories & sugar..when compared with most muffins. This is one muffin you can happily give your kids, without them going on a sugar high!
Not only the kids, but you will love these Low Fat Carrot Coconut Muffins with a cup of your evening tea as well.
Carrot Coconut Muffins
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup dried fruit peel aka tutti frutti
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 egg
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup dessicated coconut
- 1 cup grated carrots
- Soak dried fruits in orange juice for at least 1/2 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Sift the almond flour, wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger into a bowl,
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine applesauce, vanilla and egg.
- Mix until well blended.
- Add sugar and mix until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Drain fruit and discard juice.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in dry fruit and coconut until thoroughly combined. Fold in carrots.
- Now fold in the carrots
- Spray silicone muffin cups or a baking tin with non stick spray. You can also use paper liners.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until tester inserted comes out clean.
DO YOU YUM? SAVE IT BELOW!Yum
Don’t forget to visit the RECIPE INDEX with over 1000 recipes from around the world including lots of Vegetarian Recipes and Gluten Free Recipes!
This post may include affiliate links.