Last Updated on May 19, 2020 by Chef Mireille
Beet Carrot Salad
This Vegan & Gluten Free Salad is full of sweet, smoky and salty flavors. A great balance of flavors inspired by Yotam Ottolenghi.
A few years ago I was party of the I Heart Cooking Club, where we would explore the recipes of celebrity chefs around the world.
Yotam Ottolenghi is a UK based Israeli chef who presents modern inspired Middle Eastern cuisine. While part of this group I explored Ottolenghi’s recipes and I was immediately turned on to the delicious cuisine of this celebrity chef. He focuses on using fresh ingredients and his recipes are largely Vegetarian.
You might want to check some of this other recipes out!
Other Ottolenghi Recipes
- Fried Okra in Tomato Bread Sauce
- Stuffed Doughnuts with Orange Yogurt Sauce
- Spinach Chickpea Soup with Roasted Carrots
I made a few revisions to his recipe including using different herbs and spinach instead of cabbage, among other minor changes. This was my first time utilizing beets without cooking them first so I was a little skeptical, but they were totally edible with a nice crunch – pretty much the same texture as the raw carrots.
Now I often use raw grated beets in salads.
This fresh & healthy salad makes a great side salad to any meal.
The dressing really is so full of flavor!
Beet Carrot Salad
- 1 beet peeled and grated
- 2 carrots peeled and grated
- 12 dried apricots sliced
- 4 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds toasted
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup mint finely chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley finely chopped
- 4 cups spinach leaves firmly packed, sliced
- To make the dressing, whisk together the vinegar, honey, sugar, salt, pepper, cinnamon and ginger. While whisking constantly, drizzle in the olive oil and mix well.
- In a large bowl, combine beets, carrots, apricots, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, mint and parsley.
- Toss well until thoroughly combined.
- Add spinach and the dressing. Toss gently.
- Serve, garnished with more almonds and seeds, if desired.
Here are some ideas that might compliment this salad well.
Salad Accompaniment Recipes
DO YOU YUM? SAVE IT BELOW!Yum
Don’t forget to visit the RECIPE INDEX with over 1000 recipes from around the world including lots of Vegetarian Recipes and Gluten Free Recipes!
This post may include affiliate links.Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM#108