Last Updated on May 19, 2020 by Chef Mireille
Azefa – Ethiopian Lentil Salad
This vegan and gluten free Lentil Salad infused with mustard seed and black pepper makes a delicious protein packed option to complete your healthy meal.
How many of you own a Madhur Jaffrey cookbook? If you are a lover of Indian food, one of her cookbooks is required in your home library.
I have a few of her Indian cookbooks, however my favorite cookbook of hers is World Vegetarian. This cookbook features vegetarian recipes from around the world, although many of them are still Indian.
This recipe was inspired by one of the recipes from this cookbook. However, I made some changes because when I made it the first time following the recipe to a T, I found the mustard too overpowering. It practically opened up my sinuses when eating a spoonful of the salad.
I have adapted the recipe to my palate and now I find the salad more user friendly. I may have strayed from the traditional Ethiopian recipe, but I think all recipes should be a template but not a road map. We can tweak and adjust all recipes to our own personal preferences.
The salad can be served chilled or room temperature. It makes a perfect summertime dish as you won’t have to spend too much time cooking.
Serve it as a vegan entree or for meat eaters, you can serve it with some grilled chicken or shrimp!
Before we get to today’s recipe, you might want to check out some of these other delicious African Recipes!
- Asa Tibs – Ethiopian Fried Fish
- Senegalese Tankora Black Eyed Pea Salad
- Doro Wat – Ehtiopian Chicken Stew
- Itakiet – NIgerian Bean Stew
- Githeri – Kenyan Vegetable Bean Stew
- Kuku – Kenyan Chicken Mung Bean Stew
- Nhopi – Zimbabwe Pumpkin Polenta
- Chicken Palaver – Ghanian Chicken Spinach
- Tatale – Ghanian Plantain Fritters
- Mealie Cakes – Lesotho Cornmeal Biscuits
Azefa – Ethiopian Lentil Salad
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seed
- 4 black peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small bell pepper chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro finely chopped
- salt to taste
- Bring lentils and 4 cups of water to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes, until lentils are just tender.
- Drain immediately and run with cold water.
- Using a coffee/spice grinder, grind mustard seed, black pepper and cayenne pepper to a fine powder.
- Transfer the spice powder to a bowl and add boiling water. Stir to combine.
- Add lemon juice and slowly drizzle in olive oil, while whisking constantly.
- In a large bowl, combine lentils, bell pepper, cilantro and salt.
- Add dressing and stir to combine.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
ARE YOU EXCITED TO TRY THIS RECIPE? PLEASE HELP ME CONTINUE TO PROVIDE YOU WITH DELICIOUS RECIPES BY SHARING IT AND SHOPPING FOR YOUR FAVORITE PRODUCTS WITH INCLUDED LINKS!
PIN IT FOR LATER
DO YOU YUM? SAVE IT BELOW!Yum Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM#108
DISCLAIMER: As an Amazon Associate affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost to you. Other Affiliate links may also be included.