Last Updated on May 20, 2020 by Chef Mireille
Za’atar Pumpkin Hummus
Pumpkin Hummus infused with za’atar, cumin and a little spicy kick from crushed red pepper is the perfect flavored hummus to serve at your next party!
In the last 20 years, hummus has permeated American culture. Many catered events include pita and hummus. It’s also often used as the spread in sandwiches. A popular veggie sandwich is hummus, lettuce and tomatoes
Ready made tubs of hummus in a variety of flavors are available in just about every supermarket. I’m not a big fan of classic hummus, made with chickpeas, garlic, cumin, tahini, olive oil and lemon juice. The strong sesame taste from the tahini I find overwhelming. However, I do enjoy other flavored hummus’ like roasted red pepper and beet, where the tahini taste is milder.
Check out some of the other hummus flavors I’ve made!
In my version of Pumpkin Hummus here, I have added a good dose of za’atar that makes the tahini flavor negligible.
PICK YOUR OWN PUMPKINS
Yes that’s right you can easily pick your own fresh pumpkins at your local UPICK FARM! Remember what Mom always said – Fresh is best!
Have you ever used za’atar before? It is one of my favorite spice blends. Used throughout the Middle East, there are slight variations from country to country but is basically a mix of green herbs like parsley, savory and thyme, as well as sesame seeds.
Of course, the best accompaniment to hummus is pita bread. In these photos, I had purchased some whole wheat pita bread, however if you’d like to learn how to make your own fluffy pocket pita bread, check out my Pita Bread recipe here!
Za’atar, crushed red pepper and pumpkin – this is not your ordinary hummus! It’ll be a big hit at your next party for sure!
The nutty flavor from the toasted pumpkin seeds just puts it over the top! Definitely try Pumpkin Hummus the next time hummus is on the menu!
- 1 lb calabaza or kabocha pumpkin peeled and cut into wedges
- 15.5 oz. canned chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon za'atar
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup olive oil plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- extra olive oil to serve
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Toss pumpkin with the 2 tablespoons olive oil and place in a baking dish.
- Roast for 45 minutes, until pumpkin is fork tender.
- Transfer the pumpkin to a blender or food processor.
- Add chickpeas, garlic, za'atar, cumin, lemon juice, tahini, salt and pepper.
- Process until smooth.
- With the blender/food processor running, slowly add the olive oil until smooth.
- In a dry skillet, roast pumpkin seeds until golden.
- To serve, drizzle with a little more olive oil and garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds.
- Serve with pita bread.
Need more culinary inspiration? Check out the Recipe Index with over 1500 Recipes from Around the World with lots of Vegetarian 🥕🍆🍅and Gluten Free Recipes!
DO YOU YUM? SAVE IT BELOW!Yum
This post may include affiliate links.