Last Updated on May 20, 2020 by Chef Mireille
Wild Rice Pilaf
Veggie Wild Rice Pilaf is an easy side dish that makes a tasty alternative to boring steamed rice or roasted potatoes.
Side dishes are usually the afterthought. If you are planning a traditional meal that includes the basics of meat, vegetable and starch, the meat dish is usually the star and gets most of the attention. Many times the side dishes just end up being plain steamed rice or roasted potatoes.
This is an easy way to make rice a lot more interesting. You can add whatever vegetables you have that need to be used up. I used broccoli and bell pepper because that is what was in my fridge that needed to be utilized.
Asparagus, green beans, cauliflower, carrots are just a few other options that can be used in place of the broccoli and bell pepper, if that is what is in your refrigerator.
This fluffy rice with vegetables is a healthy side dish that’s gluten free and vegan – what can be better!
Before we get to today’s dish, let’s look at some other interesting ways to make rice more interesting you might want to add to your repertoire.
- Sesame Coconut Rice
- Caramel Parsi Rice
- Greek Tomato Rice
- Joloff Rice
- Horsegram Pulao
- Matar Pulao
- Caribbean Rice & Peas
- Sri Lankan Turmeric Rice
Wild Rice Pilaf with Vegetables is so colorful and inviting. No one will be able to resist.
Wild Rice Pilaf
- ¾ cup wild rice
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 1 chopped bell pepper
- 1 stalk chopped broccoli both stem and florets
- 1 ½ cups rice
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- In a large pot of boiling water add wild rice and boil for 30 minutes.
- In a large pot, heat oil.
- Add garlic, bell pepper and broccoli. Saute for a few minutes until vegetables are softened.
- Add 2 ½ cups water and bring to a boil.
- Add rice, wild rice and salt.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer until rice is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Add pomegranate seeds and adjust salt as needed.
- Fluff with a fork.
Ready to make Veggie Wild Rice Pilaf ? – I would love to see your pics! Tag me on Instagram @chefmireille #theschizochef with your delicious photos!
Need more culinary inspiration? Check out the Recipe Index with over 1500 Recipes from Around the World with lots of Vegetarian 🥕🍆🍅and Gluten Free Recipes!