Last Updated on May 29, 2020 by Chef Mireille
If you are lucky enough to visit the Caribbean island of Dominica, this is a breakfast you might enjoy there!
Dominica – Nature Island of the Caribbean
Dominica is a small island located as part of the Leeward Island group. It is a sparsely populated island with only 79K people on an island of 289 miles.
Dominica usually makes the news every Hurricane Season, as it is often hit hard. Thankfully, the island officials are now experts at rebuilding and by the time high tourist season comes again (November-April), the island is usually pretty much back to normal.
…and no this is NOT Dominican Republic,,,but you can check out this Dominican (DR) High Protein Breakfast here!
I have a special relationship with Dominica, as this is my grandmother’s birthplace. She was born in Pt. Michel, a small fishing village on the southern tip.
It is one of the most beautiful islands in the Caribbean, largely untouched by Western developers. It is a volcanic island of waterfalls, hot springs, beaches, rivers and more…
Read more about my visit to Dominica – Nature Island of the Caribbean here!
Although I enjoyed this Saltfish Ground Provision – Caribbean Bacalao Breakfast on many a morning in Dominica, this is a breakfast you might enjoy on any of the English, Dutch or French speaking Caribbean.
This high protein breakfast consists of salted cod, roasted root vegetables known as ground provision and all topped off with an optional fried egg!
Salted Cod, known as bacalao in the Spanish speaking Caribbean or bacalhau in Portuguese speaking countries and Saltfish in the English speaking Caribbean is very commonly eaten throughout the Caribbean and Mediterranean countries.
Known as saltfish in Caribbean English speaking countries, you can often hear people yelling “Saalfish” at the daily markets. It is one of the most common breakfast items, but it can be eaten at any meal.
The soaking is often done the day before. Then it is quick and easy to cook it up for breakfast.
Saltfish Ground Provision – Caribbean Bacalao Breakfast
- 12 oz. salted fish
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 Scotch Bonnet pepper/ Habanero finely chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- fried egg
- ground provision roast
- Place the fish in a saucepan of water and soak for 2 hours. Drain water and soak another 2 hours. Change water again. Bring to a boil and cook for about 15 minutes, until the fish is cooked through. Drain water and as soon as the fish is cool enough to handle, shred by hand.
- In a saute pan, heat oil. Add onion, bell pepper and Scotch Bonnet. Saute until the onions are translucent.
- Add tomato and thyme and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes, until the tomatoes are soft.
- Add fish, parsley and black pepper. Cook for about 2 minutes, until the fish is heated through.
- Serve with ground provision and an optional fried egg.
ARE YOU EXCITED TO TRY THIS RECIPE? PLEASE HELP ME CONTINUE TO PROVIDE YOU WITH DELICIOUS RECIPES BY SHARING IT AND SHOPPING FOR YOUR FAVORITE PRODUCTS WITH INCLUDED LINKS!
PIN IT FOR LATER
DO YOU YUM? SAVE IT BELOW!Yum
DISCLAIMER: As an Amazon Associate affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost to you. Other Affiliate links may also be included.