Last Updated on May 20, 2020 by Chef Mireille
This salad common throughout Eastern Europe and Scandinavia is a meal on its own with vegetables and protein. The perfect summertime meal!
As soon as I saw this recipe, I immediately thought of holiday meals at my best friend’s house and the pink potato salad that was always on the table. People from the Dominican Republic always put beets in their potato salad and it appears they are not the only ones.
I first made this recipe last year during the Cooking the Alphabets mega marathon for Estonia, but then the photos didn’t come out well and I ended up switching to Ecuador for my letter E. However, I remembered how much I liked this potato salad and was so lucky that it is a common recipe across the region throughout Scandinavia and Eastern Europe, so it works for Finland also. Although there is a slight variation to the spelling.
This version of a potato salad is a meal on its own. I called it everything but the kitchen sink potato salad. It even usually includes smoked fish, but I chose to omit that ingredient since I’m not a huge fan. Regardless, this was still a delicious salad with all of the other additions. With so many ingredients, you can really customize this salad according to preference, however don’t omit the apple. The sweetness really balances the tang of the sour cream and is an essential ingredient for a balanced flavor profile.
Looking to do some more exploration into Finnish cuisine? Try some of these treats!
Traditional Finnish Recipes
- Vyborg Pretzels
- Hiekkakakku (Finnish Sandtorte – Potato Starch Cake)
- Riivinkropsu (Grated Potato Casserole)
- Friteeratut Kala (Fried Fish – Finland Style)
- Paasiaisleipa (Easter Bread)
- Sekahadelma Keitto (Dried Fruit Dessert Soup)
This is a really complex flavored salad and with all the ingredients included makes the perfect one pot dish. The difference in textures with the crunch from the apples and al dente carrots creates many notes to the salad. Sweet from the apples and beets, tart flavors from the pickles and salt from the sausage plus the little tang from the sour cream makes this one of the best potato salads I have ever tasted.
Rosolje – Estonian Beet-Potato Salad
- 2 cups peeled and diced potatoes boiled until tender
- 2 cups peeled and diced beets boiled until tender (retain the liquid)
- 2 cups peeled and diced carrots boiled until tender
- 2 cups peeled and diced apples
- 1 cup chopped sweet gherkins
- 1 cup chopped smoked sausage I used chicken sausage
- 2 hard boiled eggs diced
- 1/4 cup parsley finely chopped
- Dressing Ingredients:
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons spicy mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- Combine all salad ingredients and stir to combine.
- Combine dressing ingredients and whisk until well blended.
- Add dressing to salad. Stir to combine. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving.
[inlinkz_linkup id=601035 mode=1]