Last Updated on July 4, 2020 by Chef Mireille
Mango Chicken Salad with Pomegranate
This delicious Mango Chicken Salad is quick and easy to make using lots of pantry/refrigerator items. Even most of the fresh ingredients can easily be substituted with frozen veg/fruit.
I generally don’t cook with a lot of processed or precooked store bought foods, however that all changed when we were all forced into quarantine in 2020.
Standard ingredients like raw chicken became scarce. What’s great about this salad is you can make it with whatever kind of chicken you have about. Ready to eat chicken strips (this is what I used), leftover or store bought rotisserie or grilled chicken or even canned chicken breast.
Instead of fresh mango, this Mango Chicken Salad uses mango chutney – another pantry item. This salad became standard weekly fare with me during quarantine. I would switch out the fruits and veg. with whatever I could get my hands on.
I always say recipes should be a guide and not a Bible and no other time did my words come to pass as it did during lockdown.
That is what is great about salads. Throw a bunch of healthy fruits and vegetables in a bowl. Add some lean protein. Make a killer dressing and you have a delicious and healthy meal that takes almost no time to put together.
Do you like a wet or dry salad?
Maybe you are picky like me? I NEVER order tuna salad or chicken salad from outside. My little pet peeve is when at the bottom of the bowl I see a bunch of dressing juice. It’s even worse when it is put on toast and makes the bread so soggy! YUCK!
This salad has just enough dressing to wet the ingredients without making your bread soggy.
I’m being honest here – If you like wet Chicken Salad, you probably won’t be happy. However, if you like Chicken Salad that has just enough of a killer dressing with a little sweet and a little spice – then you have definitely come to the right place!
Don’t forget to try this Vietnamese Chicken Salad to twist up the repertoire. We don’t want to get in a rut right! This one is mayo free so great for our summer barbecue’s as it can stay outside without refrigeration for quite a while!
Back to today’s salad….
If you wan’t to go even healthier…serve it on a bed of green salad!
However, it is delicious on some great bread also!
With all those veggies, no reason not to feed your family this healthy salad!
Mango Chicken Salad
- 1/4 cup drained canned corn
- 1 cup defrosted frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 15 green grapes quartered
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 1 grated kohlrabi or zucchini
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups diced chicken
- 7 mint leaves finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1 1/2 tablespoons aji amarillo pepper paste or your favorite spicy pepper paste
- 1/2 cup sweet mango chutney
- 2/3 cup sandwich spread or mayonnaise
- In a large bowl, combine corn, green peas, pomegranate, grapes, celery, kohlrabi, chicken, mint and cilantro.
- In a small bowl, combine pepper paste, chutney and sandwich spread. Whisk to combine.
- Add dressing to chicken and vegetables. Mix well until thoroughly combined.
- Leave to rest at least 30 minutes for flavors to combine.
- Serve chilled on toast or over a green salad.
DO YOU YUM? SAVE IT BELOW!Yum
ARE YOU EXCITED TO TRY THIS RECIPE? PLEASE HELP ME CONTINUE TO PROVIDE YOU WITH DELICIOUS RECIPES BY SHARING IT AND SHOPPING FOR YOUR FAVORITE PRODUCTS WITH INCLUDED AFFILIATE LINKS!
NEED MORE INSPIRATION? CHECK OUT MY RECIPE INDEX WITH OVER 1500 WORLD FOOD RECIPES!
This post may contain affiliate links.