Last Updated on December 16, 2020 by Madison Wetherill
Vietnamese Chicken Salad – Ga Xe Phay
This chicken salad is very healthy and herbaceous with a dairy free dressing. A great summer salad.
When the weather gets warmer, we want cooler foods.
Recipes that require us to spend as little time in the kitchen as possible and chilled foods that might help cool us down.
This chicken salad is full of so much flavor due to the dressing and lots of fresh herbs. It’s also dairy free so worry free if you want to bring it to a picnic or have it outside at a barbecue.
It can be enjoyed chilled or at room temperature.
If you ever eat out at Vietnamese restaurants, you will notice that your foods are always served with great big bunches of mint and cilantro.
In this recipe, the finely chopped herbs are combined into the salad. It is really important to let the salad rest for at least 15 minutes, so that the chicken has the time to absorb the flavors from the dressing and the fresh herbs, as well as soften the cabbage.
Letting it sit for at least an hour is even better!
This Vietnamese Chicken Salad – Ga Xe Phay utilizes basic ingredients, so as long as you make Asian food, you most likely will have all of the ingredients and just get the fresh stuff.
Make sure you add any ingredients you don’t have to this week’s shopping list!
- Chicken Breast
- Bird’s Eye chillies
- Rice Wine Vinegar
- Fish Sauce
For a healthy and delicious Chicken Salad, you must try this Vietnamese Version!
Interested in learning some more delicious Vietnamese recipes? Check these out!
- Com Da Ca Chua – Vietnamese Tomato Rice
- Che Dua Xanh – Vietnamese Mung Bean Pudding
- Banh Bo Nuang – Vietnamese Honeycomb Cake
Vietnamese Chicken Salad – Ga Xe Phay
- 2 chicken breast approximately 1 lb.
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 7 peppercorns
- 1 1/2 cups green cabbage thinly sliced
- 2 onions quartered
- 1/2 cup cilantro finely chopped
- 1 cup mint finely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 6 tablespoons fish sauce
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 bird's eye chillies finely chopped
- Put the chicken and onions in a saucepan with salt, garlic and peppercorns. Add just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the dressing by whisking together lime juice, fish sauce, rice vinegar and sugar. Add chillies and stir to combine.
- Remove the chicken immediately from the pot. Reserve cooking liquid.
- Shred the chicken with your fingers, as soon as it is cool enough to handle.
- Season the chicken with salt and liberally with black pepper.
- Add 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid to the chicken. Strain the cooking liquid and store in the refrigerator for future use, whenever chicken stock is needed.
- Put the cabbage and herbs in a large bowl with the shredded chicken. Add dressing and toss to combine.
- Let stand for at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
DO YOU YUM? SAVE IT BELOW!Yum
Need more culinary inspiration? Check out the Recipe Index with over 1500 Recipes from Around the World with lots of Vegetarian 🥕🍆🍅and Gluten Free Recipes!
This post may include affiliate links.
I just gained an appreciation for chicken salad about a year ago, but I think I would have LOVED it if I had this version. Great flavors and I appreciate the light dressing.
I also am not really a fan of mayo based chicken salads but this version so light and refreshing is a totally different animal!
An amazingly delicious chicken salad that will definitely be a regular at our dinner table.
Yes – its definitely a pleasing salad to just about every palate!
A light yet filling solid! Definitely one I must try!
yes it is so good and makes a great summer meal!