Last Updated on January 13, 2020 by Chef Mireille
Hush Puppies with Spicy Corn Aioli are Cornmeal Fritters that is a perfect game day savory bite. The Spicy Corn Aioli brings this classic bite of Americana to the ultimate level with the flavor.
Hush Puppies are a very traditional food of the Southeastern United States. It is usually just fried cornmeal batter. However, I added corn kernels plus a few other veggies to make them a little more interesting.
Here’s the story of how hush puppies came about (via whatscookinginamerica.net):
Now that you’ve learned a little about Americana history, here’s my updated version of an American classic.
IN THE MAKING – HOW TO MAKE HUSH PUPPIES WITH SPICY CORN AIOLI
With the spicy aioli, this is such a treat for game day or any party.
…Now you have these fried balls of deliciousness…but it’s still missing something…hmmm what could it be…a spicy dip to highlight the sweet corn flavor. Spicy Corn Aioli does the trick!
MAKING THE AIOLI
Aioli is a dip that has become popular in recent years. You will find all kinds of aioli available in restaurants from sun dried tomato to spinach….the varieties are endless. You my wonder what exactly is an aioli. It’s basically a fancy word for olive oil mayonnaise. It is French in origin and is basically mayonnaise made with olive oil instead of vegetable oil and flavored with garlic, salt and black pepper. Hellman’s now makes olive oil mayonnaise as do other brands as well., therefore making the process of aioli making simple. Just mix the mayo straight out of the jar with desired seasonings and you have an aioli.
You can use store bought harissa for this recipe, but the homemade version is very easy and even more delicious. Check out the recipe here.
Now you’re ready to eat… Grab a puppy…
Dip it in the aioli…
Take a bite and I promise you won’t be able to stop…
The aioli really brings this old time American fave to another level.
Perfect Party Food!
However, if you want to include it as part of a meal, pair it with a healthy salad and the guilt associated with deep fried food will completely disappear!
Hush Puppies with Spicy Corn Aioli
- Hush Puppies Ingredients:
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 2/3 cups buttermilk
- 3/4 cup frozen corn defrosted
- 1/4 cup frozen green peas defrosted
- 1/2 cup carrots grated (I used rainbow carrots)
- 3 skinny scallions chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- oil for frying
- Aioli Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup canned corn cream style
- 1/2 cup Hellmann's olive oil mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- Combine all ingredients, except the oil and the buttermilk and mix. Add buttermilk and mix until just combined.
- Heat enough oil for deep frying to 350 F.
- Using a mini scoop or a tablespoon, drop scoops of batter into the hot oil and fry until golden brown on all sides.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Now it's time to make the aioli.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and mix until well blended and thoroughly combined.