Last Updated on April 12, 2021 by Chef Mireille
This is a variation of the classic Italian Pasta e Ceci, except this is a version of Pasta and Chickpeas without tomatoes.
This post may include affiliate links.
Thanks to Srivalli’s Cookbook Cooking Challenge, I am now utilized my Gourmet subscription I had in 2004-2005. I had stopped the subscription because I wasn’t reading the magazine and felt it was a waste of money. Now, I am utilizing the magazine by trying the recipes in the magazine. I no longer feel I wasted my money.
Here are some other Vegetarian meals that are just as perfect for #MeatlessMonday!
Vegetarian Dinner Ideas
- Spinach Pesto Pasta
- Basil Cream Pasta with Vegetables
- Asparagus Pesto Pasta with Butternut Squash
- Bell Pepper Pesto Tortelloni
This recipe is from the January 2005 issue in a section called Quick Meals, however I made a number of changes after a visit to the Farmer’s Market. Instead of using frozen broccoli, I used a combination of all the fresh colorful cauliflower’s available in some supermarkets and the farmer’s markets. I have now made this several times, sometimes utilizing fresh carrot fettucini from the farmer’s market, although in these photos I used tagliatelle. I also added some pesto to the original recipe.
However, the step by step photos below are from when I made it with the carrot fettucini and added some seasonal sage. You can add whatever herbs you like to make it even more flavorful – some fresh oregano, parsley or rosemary would all work wonders with this pasta dish.
Garlic, ginger and onion are ingredients I use as seasoning, however, I never use it as the dominating flavor. As much as most people love garlic mashed potatoes, I find it too overpowering. Therefore, I reduced the quantity of the garlic in this recipe by half. Still, the garlic came through very strong. However, if you are a garlic lover, feel free to double the quantity of garlic I used.
HOW TO MAKE GARLIC PASTA AND CHICKPEAS
Drizzle with extra oil and serve with lots of freshly grated cheese
This is perfect with some toasted bread.
Chickpea Garlic Pasta
- 10 oz. fresh tagliatelle
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 3-5 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 red jalapeno finely chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper)
- 14 oz. cauliflower broken into florets
- 15.5 oz. can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley or your favorite herb like oregano, rosemary, sage or mint
- 3 tablespoons pesto
- 4 tablespooons freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- salt to taste
- Boil a large pot of water. Add salt and a tablespoon of olive oil. Add fresh pasta and cook for 3 minutes, until al dente. (If using dried pasta, cook according to package instructions.) Drain, but reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add garlic and chile. Saute for a few minutes until the garlic turns golden.
- Add cauliflower and reserved cooking liquid. Stir once. Cover and cook for 8 minutes. The vegetables should be fork tender, but still crisp and the liquid will have evaporated.
- Add chickpeas, cooked pasta. pestp, parsley and salt. Toss for 2 minutes.
- To serve, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and cheese over each serving.
Need more culinary inspiration? Check out the Recipe Index with over 1500 Recipes from Around the World with lots of Vegetarian 🥕🍆🍅and Gluten Free Recipes!
wow such a lovely and fresh dish…. loved it
A refreshing pasta dish !
oh yumm Ilove chick pea in pasta taste so good right love the combo
Oh I love chickpeas in pasta lovely combo have never tired will def try it soon
Delicious pasta recipe…
love the combo, although I have never tasted purple brocolli before
wow very interesting and yummy one… Tempting…
Pasta looks very tempting, colourful and healthy too 🙂 Thanks for sharing
Surprise twist to the pasta, very innovative!
Wow..colorful, healthy and yummy pasta.
Pasta loos so rich and tempting ! lovely….
I am so glad that this event is proving to be useful..:)..and the pasta looks so colourful!
Very Colorful plate there!!! Loving that purple cauliflower, kaash we get it here!!! 🙂
Oh yum! this looks perfect – love the combo and I am one of the garlic lovers – so will be doubling it
Thanks for sharing
pasta looks tasty and colorful too…
Amazing combination of ingredients in that pasta dish. It must have tasted delicious.
Love those colorful veggies in your dish. Looks really good.
This sounds delicious and really filling! 🙂
Sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing with Pasta Please and Shop Local! Wishing you all the best for 2014!