Last Updated on September 9, 2021 by Chef Mireille
Pumpkin tends to come out during the fall and winter season here in America, where you can’t hide from any pumpkin recipes – even if you wanted to!
However, I enjoy pumpkin all year long. Pumpkin is a core ingredient in Caribbean cuisine. We often enjoy it as a side dish where it is just mashed with spices – Pumpkin Choka, sometimes spelled Pumpkin Chokka. From soup and curries to cakes, pumpkin is seen throughout the cuisine all year long.
At the end of the day, I’m born and raised in America and my go to recipe during the fall and winter is Pumpkin Bread. I love to make this on cool winter weekend mornings with the aroma of the spices scenting the whole apartment. Enjoy it with a cup of coffee – I also put a pinch of my homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix into the coffee. Pair it with some salty cheese to balance the sweetness and could you just imagine anything better!
I don’t have a fireplace in my apartment, but if I did this is definitely a scene fit for a warm crackling fire!
How to make Whole Wheat Pumpkin Bread
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix together wet ingredients in a different bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined.
This is a really moist, spicy and comforting sweet bread and the dried apricots melt in your mouth!
Whole Wheat Pumpkin Bread
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 11 tablespoons butter softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups pumpkin see note
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease a loaf pan.
- Beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs. Add pumpkin, milk and almond extract. Mix well.
- In a small bowl, mix all other ingredients, except apricots. Add to wet mixture.
- Pour into greased loaf pan and bake for 1 hour. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for another 1/2 hour.
Need more culinary inspiration? Check out the Recipe Index with over 1500 Recipes from Around the World with lots of Vegetarian 🥕🍆🍅and Gluten Free Recipes!
Apricots-fresh/dry is something I don't get here that often.The bread has turned out very well..
I don't use much of apricots… THis looks like nice recipe. Thnx for linking it up.