Last Updated on December 14, 2020 by Chef Mireille
Kokum, part of the mangosteen family, gives this Kerala style curry it’s awesome tangy flavor.
Kokum is sold in Indian markets. It is dried fruit skin and comes from a member of the mangostene family. It has a very tart flavor and adds an awesome taste to curries and is also used in beverages in Indian cuisine. I used some kokum to make this Kerala style Kokum Fish Curry. This is not the first time I have used kokum as I previously made this Kokum Rasam.
This week’s ingredients were decided on by my BM partners. My blogging friends and I met last month and had a secret ingredient exchange. We each brought three ingredients and then had to pick from the pool three ingredients to cook with. Yesterday’s polenta came from Usha and this kokum came from Rajani. Thanks for the inspiration ladies.
I also made a dal with the kokum, but those photos did not come out so well, so I decided to try a different recipe. While I liked the dal, I wouldn’t say it was one of my favorite dal recipes that I would make often. However, this fish curry is one I can enjoy over and over!
This is quite a spicy curry, so feel free to reduce the quantity of dried red chiles, if you would like a milder version. This hot, sour and spicy curry is perfect with some steamed Basmati rice.
Kokum Fish Curry
- Toss fish with half of the turmeric and salt. Leave to marinate for 15 minutes.
- Soak kokum in ½ cup of warm water.
- In a dry skillet, toast fenugreek and chiles until fragrant. Using a spice/coffee grinder, grind to a fine powder
- In a skillet, heat oil. Add mustard seed. After a few seconds, add curry leaves, onion and garlic. Saute until onions are translucent.
- Add fenugreek chile powder. Add kokum with its water plus 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add fish and simmer until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust salt, if necessary.
A quick and easy curry!
Don’t forget to visit the RECIPE INDEX with over 1000 recipes from around the world including lots of Vegetarian Recipes and Gluten Free Recipes!