Last Updated on December 23, 2019 by Chef Mireille
Welsh Leek & Cheese Sausage is the way the Welsh do Vegetarian breakfast!
W is for Wales…
Glamorgan Sausage is essentially what the rest of the world might call a Vegetarian kofta or kebab. It is a popular breakfast item in Wales, made of leeks and cheese. When I looked at the original recipe source, it said to use Caerphilly cheese, which is a Welsh cheese or to use some combination of Cheddar & Havarti. I have never noticed this cheese before, despite visits to Whole Foods and East Village Cheese. I didn’t have time to go to East Village Cheese, my spot for getting inexpensive gourmet cheeses in NYC.
I happened to have a job near Trader Joe’s, so I decided to stop in there and see what kind of substitutes I could find. I first found a block of Dubliner cheese – I figured Ireland is pretty close to Wales so I thought that would be a good substitute and then I was looking for some Fontina or some Gouda since I am not a Havarti fan…and then lo and behold what caught my eye…a block of Welsh Colliers Cheddar and it was cheaper in price than the Gouda too! So it’s not the Caerphilly, but it is a Welsh cheese and I am sure someone in Wales is substituting this cheese to make their breakfast Glamorgan.
This is the perfect “sausage” for the uvo-vegetarian in your life…that consume eggs.
IN THE MAKING – HOW TO MAKE GLAMORGAN – WELSH LEEK & CHEESE SAUSAGE
These are very filling and perfect with just some spinach or maybe some fresh berries, for breakfast.
Crispy on the outside and soft and cheesy on the inside…
Glamorgan – Welsh Leek & Cheese Sausage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 leeks dark green bottoms trimmed off, finely chopped (about 6 oz.)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons parsley finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Welsh Cheddar cheese or Caerphilly, grated
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs traditional recipe uses freshly made white breadcrumbs but I used store bought seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs separated and beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- oil for frying
- Heat butter in a skillet. Add leeks and saute until soft and beginning to brown. Add thyme and parsley and cook for 1 more minute.
- In a large bowl, combine cheese, 1 cup of the breadcrumbs, milk, mustard, 1 of the eggs, sauteed leeks, salt and pepper. Mix well. Divide into 8 sausage shaped patties.
- In 3 separate shallow bowls, place the remaining breadcrumbs, egg and flour, each in its own bowl.
- Bread the sausages by rolling first in the flour, then the egg and finally the breadcrumbs.
- Heat enough oil for shallow frying and fry each sausage until golden brown on all sides. Drain on paper towels.
DO YOU YUM? SAVE IT BELOW!Yum
Need more culinary inspiration? Check out the Recipe Index with over 1500 Recipes from Around the World with lots of Vegetarian 🥕🍆🍅and Gluten Free Recipes!
This post may include affiliate links.
…linking to Come Join Us for Breakfast