Last Updated on January 24, 2022 by Chef Mireille
This Malay-Style Vegan Smoothie Recipe is a refreshing summertime treat. Try this delicious Coconut Corn Smoothie as a delicious addition to any Chinese New Year menu!
If you are looking for more ways to celebrate the Lunar Festival, check out my Chinese New Year Recipes here.
Have you ever had corn in a smoothie?
I bet you are surprised to see corn in a smoothie. I know it was the first time I saw this drink at my favorite Malaysian restaurant here in NYC. As I have made it my life mission to try everything at least once, I chose this drink over and above the lychee and rambutan drinks you will usually encounter at most Southeast Asian restaurants.
I therefore based this recipe off of the delicious Coconut Corn drink I had at Nyonya. Corn is really big in Southeast Asia. If you ever visit Thailand where I was earlier this year, you will notice corn in everything from drinks to desserts and savory foods.
Many desserts like rice pudding are often garnished with corn.
I hope you enjoy my version of this Malay Style Asian Coconut Corn Smoothie.
This post may include affiliate links.
Table of Contents
Are Coconut Milk Smoothies Healthy?
Coconut Milk Health Benefits
While coconut milk is packed with anti oxidant power and protein as well as nutrients like potassium, iron, magnesium and selenium, it is also high in calories and fat.
Therefore though it has lots of nutritional value, it is something you will want to consume in moderation
Corn Health Benefits
Corn is very high in vitamin C, boosting your immune system. It also contains caretenoids, which are good for eye health. Corn is also rich in B vitamins as well as others.
While this smoothie is healthy as it is rich in immune boosting vitamins, it is also high in fat and carbs. While delicious, I would not recommend it if you are on a weight loss journey – unless you save it for your cheat day 🙂
What Type of Corn Should You Use?
I recommend you use sweet yellow corn. White corn is not as sweet and won’t taste as good in this delicious vegan smoothie.
You can use either fresh corn, frozen, or canned whole kernel corn.
To learn more about the differences between the types of coconut milk, read all about it here – Types of Coconut Milk.
Have you tried instacart yet? It’s how I get all of my fresh grocery items delivered within 2 hours!
This super easy Vegan Smoothie with Corn utilized only 4 simple ingredients.
Coconut Smoothie Recipe Ingredients
How to Make Vegan Coconut Corn Smoothie
- Blend most of the corn with the rest of the ingredients.
- Blend until smooth.
- Garnish with the remaining corn kernels.
More Malaysian Recipes
Looking to explore some more Malay flavors? Check out these other recipes!
- Chicken Curry Puffs — If you want to bring the Malaysian night market vibe into your home, you might want to try these curry puffs. It’s closest to the authentic dish when you use Malaysian curry powder.
- Malay Fish Curry — It’s an easy, 10-minute prep dish that cooks in just 20 minutes. You’ll enjoy the deep curry flavor along with all the spices and the fish fillets cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Puteri Ayu – Steamed Pandan Cake — This dish gives you a unique Malaysian experience when it comes to sweets. The fresh, light, earthy taste of this pandan cake, along with its fluffiness, makes it a suitable recipe for an intimate Valentine’s Day celebration.
- Water Spinach Laksa — It’s a traditional Malaysian soup with the freshness of spinach spreading through the entire bowl.
Coconut Corn Smoothie
- Remove 2 tablespoons of the corn and reserve for garnish.
- Combine the rest of the corn in a blender with the coconut milk, ice and sugar. Blend very well until smooth and creamy. I let my Ninja blender go for a full 5 minutes.
- To serve, garnish with the reserved corn kernels.
Don’t forget to visit the RECIPE INDEX with over 1000 recipes from around the world including lots of Vegetarian Recipes and Gluten Free Recipes!