Carrot Mung Bean Salad is a delicious salad packed with flavor. Perfect for light summer meals.
Participating in the I Heart Cooking Club, I am having so much fun discovering UK celebrity chef Yotam Ottolenghi and today I am presenting another one of his delicious salad recipes. Like me, he uses global ingredients from every culture. Full of warm, smoky spices, this recipe packs some powerful flavor into the two star ingredients. I just made a few slight changes due to personal preference.
With the heat of summer, I prefer light salads to heavy carbs. Instead of hot rice and pasta, I eat my meat/protein with salad. This does not mean I go carb free as many of the salads I eat are often grain based. However, these grain or lentil based salads are filling yet light so perfect to compliment summer meals.
Here are some more ideas to complete your summer meals!
Summer Salad Recipes
Roasted Salmon with Spinach Aioli and this salad is the perfect summer meal or really a healthy meal for any season!
IN THE MAKING – MAKING CARROT MUNG BEAN SALAD
Perfectly balanced salad with sweet, salty and smoky flavors. Made a perfect late evening dinner on a busy day.
Full of protein, it’s a healthy and filling way to complete any meal!
Carrot Mung Bean Salad
- 2/3 cup green mung beans/green gram
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large carrots cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons cilantro finely chopped
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 4 ounces Mannouri cheese or feta (or ricotta salata), crumbled
- Place beans and garlic in a pot of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 20-25 minutes, until tender. Drain immediately and discard the garlic.
- In a small skillet, heat the oil. Add cumin, caraway and fennel. When they start to sizzle and have turned golden, pour over the beans. Add red pepper, vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt.
- In a shallow pan so that carrots lay in an even layer, combine carrots, sugar, remaining salt and 2/3 cup water. Cook on high heat for 8 minutes, by which time most of the water should have evaporated.
- Add to beans with cilantro and lemon zest.
- Add cheese. Toss gently and serve.