Last Updated on January 12, 2020 by Chef Mireille
This protein packed tostada makes a delicious Mexican inspired breakfast. You can choose to have it as a tostada or tacos.
…and for more Latin inspiration, check out this delicious collection of Mexican Recipes.
Having leftover Roasted Corn Salsa & Pickled Jicama after making these Fish Tacos, I created this delicious Mexican inspired breakfast to finish up the leftover stuff. As long as you have the salsa and pickled jicama does in advance, this breakfast comes together very quickly. You can even make it on busy weekday mornings.
With beans, eggs and cheese, it is a protein packed breakfast that will give you the energy to keep going if you’re having a late lunch.
The delicious topping of the tostada can also be used in a soft taco if you prefer, with some lightly toasted corn tortillas.
For those teenagers who are always rushing out the door with barely a bite, stuff a tostada or taco in their hands as they run out the door and let them eat their breakfast on the run. It’s better than them having no breakfast right!
Garnish your Breakfast Tostada with fresh tomato, cilantro, crema (Mexican sour cream) and queso fresco.
Before we get to the recipe, let’s check out some other Mexican food you might like to enjoy!
- Pineapple Strawberry Agua Fresca
- Mexican Goat Stew
- Mexican Bunuelos
- Ponche Navideño – Christmas Punch
- Champurrado – Chocolate Cornmeal Drink
- Salsa Verde
- Vegetarian Enchiladas Verde
- Green Pozole – Mexican Hominy Soup
- Dulce Poblano de Camote – Sweet Potato Pudding
- Horchata – Mexican Rice Drink
- Mexican Mango Pudding
- Fish Tacos
With all these options, it is so easy to have an entire Mexican day if you have a Mexican loving family.
Sample Mexican Day Menu
- Breakfast – Breakfast Tostada
- Lunch – Fish Tacos
- Dinner – Vegetarian Enchiladas Verde
- Snack time – Salsa Verde with Tortilla Chips
- Dessert – Mexican Mango Pudding
- Tostada Ingredients:
- 4 corn tortillas
- oil for deep frying
- Topping Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 scallions finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup canned black beans rinsed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro plus extra for garnish
- Garnish Ingredients:
- chopped or sliced Tomato as desired
- Crema Mexican sour cream
- crumbled Queso Fresco
- Roasted Corn Salsa
- Pickled Jicama
- Heat a deep skillet with enough oil for deep frying. Add the tortillas one at a time and fry until crispy. Drain on paper towels.
- Place corn tortillas in oil and fry until browned and crispy.
- Alternately, toast corn tortillas in a dry skillet until slightly charred for tacos.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add scallions and jalapeno. Fry for 1-2 minutes until softened. Add spinach and cook for a few minutes, until wilted.
- Add eggs, stirring often to scramble eggs. Once eggs are cooked, turn off heat. Add beans, cilantro and salt. Stir to combine.
- To assemble tostadas, spread some of the corn salsa on each fried or toasted tortilla. Add a little egg mix on top. Add a few slices of pickled jicama and then other garnish ingredients, as desired.
Ready to make this recipe? Tag me on Instagram @chefmireille #theschizochef with your pics!
Do you know anyone else who likes learning about international recipes, culture, history and travel? Bring them over here to join the party! Don’t forget to use those share buttons!
Start Here to find out how the Schizo Chef can help you with your cooking, travel and other needs!
If you like this recipe, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT & SUBSCRIBE!