Last Updated on November 13, 2019 by Chef Mireille
This 100% whole wheat Blueberry Cardamom Bread is perfect as dessert or a breakfast quick bread that is not too sweet.
Today starts Bake-a-Thon, an annual event that some blogger friends and I participate in, presenting 3 baked goods a week. If you are looking for some baked goods to add to your holiday menu, tune in for some inspiration or Follow Me on Facebook, to be sure not to miss a single post!
I hosted a Thanksgiving dinner this year with a dozen attendees. It’s been a while since I did a traditional Thanksgiving with all the trimmings. You would think I did enough cooking for 2 days in preparation for the event. However, my friend, her mom and 2 kids were spending the whole Thanksgiving weekend with me. It was the perfect opportunity to make some extra sweets and let the kids eat the calories. I had bought lots of fruits to serve as snacks, in anticipation of the kids spending the weekend. One carton of blueberries was at hand to make this quick bread.
When I set to start baking, I realized I had all but a 1/2 cup of flour in my all purpose flour bin. Everyone was inside my cozy apartment watching movies – the kids in the bedroom and the adults in the living room – and no one, myself included, wanted to go outside in the cold to get flour. Luckily, I had whole wheat pasty flour. Pastry flour is a high starch low protein flour which yields a very tender crumb in cakes, cookies and quick breads. This is a great whole wheat substitute for all purpose flour as you cannot tell the difference between this and 100% APF cakes. It is not dense like whole wheat cakes/cookies can often be, but light, fluffy and tender. If you don’t have access to pastry flour, you can also substitute 1/2 whole wheat flour and 1/2 cake flour, however it wont be a 100% wheat cake as this one is.
This bread is just sweet enough for a dessert, but also not overly sweet so it can also serve as a breakfast treat. Great for long holiday weekends.
If you have extra blueberries in your fridge, here are some other blueberry treats you can easily whip up!
- Kiwi Blueberry Muffins
- Blueberry Pie
- Blueberry Chia Jam
- Double Blueberry Bran Muffins
- Banana Blueberry Multi Grain Pancakes
- Rosemary Blueberry Corn Muffins
- Blueberry Popovers
IN THE MAKING
Full of berry flavor, these are very moist and tender breads.
With extra batter, you can also make them into muffins!
Blueberry Cardamom Bread
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray non stick spray in 1 loaf pan or mini loaf pans and muffin tins as desired.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, cardamom and sugar. Mix to combine.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, yogurt, oil and vanilla extract. Whisk until well blended.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in the blueberries.
- Transfer to prepared pans and cook until a toothpick/knife inserted comes out clean.
- Cooking times will vary depending which sized baking vessel you use.
- Mini loaves will take 35 minutes. Micro mini muffins will take 20 minutes.
- Cool. To remove from pans, flip pan over on a plate. Bang the back of the pan with a wooden spoon to release the moist cakes. They should then slip out.