Versunkener Apfelkuchen – German Sunken Apple Cake is a show stopper dessert fit for any special occasion and done in under an hour.
I don’t consider myself the most artistic of bakers. Sure I can bake cakes, cookies and pastries, but have you noticed the lack of frosted cakes here? I try to get away with it by making glazes that I can just pour over the cakes – way simpler. However, everyone wants a show stopper cake for holidays like Christmas right? What if I could introduce you to a cake that would wow your guests but super easy and simple – No difficult techniques like fluting pastry and done in under an hour? This cake fits the bill. If you still haven’t baked up your Christmas desserts, consider this cake. With basic ingredients but a WOW look to the end product, this is the cake for every special occasion.
If you’d like, you can garnish it with some powdered sugar when it comes out of the oven, but so not necessary.
Here are a few other showstopper cake recipes you might like to try!
- Applesauce Cake with Caramel Glaze
- Cardamom Coffee Pound Cake
- Saffron Ricotta Cake
- Cuca de Banana – Brazilian Banana Crumb Cake
- Pistacchio Crusted Mango Rose Cake
- Baath – Indian Semolina Coconut Cake
- Chocolate Chestnut Tea Cake
- Banana Upside Down Cake
IN THE MAKING
This is a fork and knife cake, so definitely fit for those fancy shmancy occasions!
Versunkener Apfelkuchen – German Sunken Apple Cake
- 3 apples peeled, cored and quartered
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 8 tablespoons softened butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons raw brown sugar Demarara
- Powdered sugar optional
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a springform pan with non stick spray.
- Slice the apples ¾ of the way through, leaving the base attached. Toss apples the lemon juice.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and creamy.
- Add vanilla extract and lemon zest. Mix until combined.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, combine salt, flour and baking powder. Mix to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to batter in 2 batches, mixing well after each addition.
- Add milk and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan and spread in an even layer.
- Place apples on top of the batter, pressing slightly into the batter.
- Sprinkle demarara sugar on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until a tester inserted comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove the outer shell of the springform pan.
- Garnish with powdered sugar on top, if desired.