Last Updated on May 20, 2020 by Chef Mireille
Tomato Chayote Chicken Soup makes the perfect bowl of soup on cool winter nights. A healthy and complete bowl.
This soup was taken from a cookbook I have on Middle Eastern & African Cooking, however I made a number of changes to the original recipe as I found it a little bland.
Chayote is a vegetable that has many different names even in English, depending on what country you are in. Most Americans and Mexicans call it chayote, Jamaicans cal it cho-cho, Africans and some Caribbeans call it christopene and in New Orleans & the French Caribbean it is called mirliton. Whatever you call it, it is one of my favorite vegetables to include in soups. It is a member of the squash family and will absorb other flavors rapidly.
However, it does have an enzyme that many people have a skin allergy to, including me. This is why it is sold in individual plastic bags. Just wear gloves when preparing the vegetable. Once it is cooked, there won’t be any problems eating this delicious vegetable.
It’s definitely the time of year for chicken soup. Here are some other varietal chicken soups you might enjoy!
Chicken Soup Recipes
- Chicken Wheatberry Soup
- Chicken Mustard Green Congee
- Korean Chicken Rice Soup – Dak Juk
- Laotian Chicken Noodle Soup
- Mizo Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Khao Soi – Thai Chicken Noodle Soup
- Green Pozole – Mexican Hominy Soup with Chicken & Pork
- Suriname Peanut Soup with Chicken
This soup is the perfect comfort food now with cool temperatures.
It is a healthy complete meal!
Tomato Chayote (aka christophene) Soup
- 8 oz. skinless and boneless chicken thighs
- 1 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 chopped small onion
- 2 chopped small green chile or 1 serrano pepper
- 2 cups. canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 peeled cored and diced chayote/christophene
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- Season chicken with garlic, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Leave to marinate for 1/2 hour.
- In a large pot, heat oil. Add onion and cook until onions soften.
- Add chicken and stir fry for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, 1 cup water, chile, chayote, sugar, thyme, cayenne, oregano and garam masala. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add parsley and adjust salt as needed. Cook for 1 more minute.
Need more culinary inspiration? Check out the Recipe Index with over 1500 Recipes from Around the World with lots of Vegetarian 🥕🍆🍅and Gluten Free Recipes!