Last Updated on January 13, 2020 by Chef Mireille
Thai Papaya Fish Salad – This salad with a Papaya Dressing and Fried Fish is a delicious summertime meal, especially for Seafood Lovers!
I love papaya flavored foods like juice, jam and pastries. However, it has an unpleasant mouthfeel to me. Like persimmons, I never eat the fresh fruit as it leaves a dry, chalky feeling due to enzymes inherent in the fruit that disappears when cooked or diluted as in juice.
Last Sunday, it was a Thai inspired chowder and today it’s a Thai inspired salad. Looks like it’s a Thai Sunday month. To keep the theme going, guess I’ll have to come up with something Thai again for next Sunday. I had some leftover papaya puree after a failed attempt at a Papaya Tea Cake and made a salad dressing with it.
I’ve been on a seafood kick this month, so I added some seasoned fried fish and fresh greens and you have a delightful dinner salad.
Do you love Thai food as much as me? Well if you do, check out some of my other Thai recipes.
- Butterfly Pea Flower Sticky Rice & Mango
- Massaman Chicken Curry
- Lemongrass Ice Cream
- Thai Ice Cream Sandwich
- Classic Method Thai Sticky Rice
- Thai Fried Omelette
- Khao Soi – Chicken Curry Noodle Soup
- Jasmine Thai Coconut Custard
- Khao Neow Dum Sung Khaya – Thai Black Rice Pudding Custard
- Peranakan Pancakes with Banana Sauce
IN THE MAKING
Spicy, salty, sweet….this salad has all of the multi-layered flavors we all expect from Thai food. However, this light salad is half the calories of a rich coconut milk curry. If you love Thai food but not the calories, this is the perfect salad for you!
Thai Papaya Fish Salad is the perfect summertime meal!
Thai Papaya Fish Salad
- Salad Ingredients:
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves firmly packed
- 1 1/2 cups baby arugula leaves firmly packed
- 2/3 cup pineapple chopped small
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds toasted
- 4 tablespoons dry roasted peanuts
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves finely chopped
- Salad Dressing Ingredients:
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ginger grated
- 2 bird's eye chiles finely chopped
- 1/2 cup pureed papaya
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Fish Ingredients:
- 9 oz.white firm fleshed fish fillets cut into large pieces (I used catfish)
- 1 teaspoon lemongrass powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- peanut oil for frying
- Toss the fish with the ginger, coriander, salt and lemongrass powder. Heat enough oil for deep frying.
- Toss the seasoned fish with the rice flour. Dust off the excess and place in the hot oil. Fry for 3-4 minutes, until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- To make the dressing, combine all ingredients except the oil. Mix well. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil, whisking constantly.
- To make the salad, combine all salad ingredients with the fish. Add 6 tablespoons of the papaya dressing and toss well.
Do you know anyone else who likes learning about international food, culture, history and travel? Bring them over here to join the party! Don’t forget to use those share buttons!
Start Here to find out how the Schizo Chef can help you with your cooking, travel and other needs!