Last Updated on January 12, 2020 by Chef Mireille
Sweet Potato Pound Cake with Mango Glaze is a soft and fluffy cake with an amazing texture. A perfect addition to any holiday event or tea time.
For this week, I am trying out a few recipes from my BM blogger friend, Archana. This cake immediately caught my eye when perusing her recipes. Pumpkin is used abundantly in muffins, cakes and many kinds of desserts and poor sweet potato is the forgotten step child, although this is starting to change. I love sweet potatoes in sweet treats as demonstrated in this Sweet Potato Mousse I created, so I was excited to try this cake. The only major change I made from her recipe is using whole wheat pastry flour instead of all purpose flour. Pastry flour gives baked goods made with it a very tender crumb so it’s perfect for cakes, without needing to mix it with any all purpose flour, as is necessary when using regular whole wheat flour.
I also added a Mango Glaze. Mango and Sweet Potato made an awesome combination not to mention the power punch of Vitamin C from these two ingredients.
This makes a fabulous holiday cake for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
In order to achieve the amazingly soft and fluffy texture, it is very important to use room temperature ingredients. Room temperature butter and eggs should not only be used for this cake, but when making any cake.
IN THE MAKING – HOW TO MAKE SWEET POTATO POUND CAKE WITH MANGO GLAZE
With the size of this sheet cake, it’s perfect for a crowd.
This cake has an almost melt in your mouth texture as the glaze provides additional moisture to an already soft cake.
Everyone will LOVE this cake!
Sweet Potato Pound Cake
- 1 cup softened butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes boil peeled potatoes in a large pot of boiling water until tender, drain and mash
- Topping Ingredients:
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/4 cup mango juice
- 2 tablespoons dessicated coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a 9x13 baking pan with non stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and dry spices.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, until thoroughly combined. Add vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- Add half of the dry ingredients and mix to combine. Add the remaining half and mix again until thoroughly combined.
- Add sweet potatoes and mix until thoroughly combined. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour, until knife inserted comes out clean.
- To make glaze, combine mango juice and sugar until thoroughly combined. Pour over cake. Leave for 5 minutes.