Last Updated on April 26, 2023 by Chef Mireille
Elevate your pasta game with this Spinach Pesto Pasta with Chickpeas that combines the rich, savory taste of chickpeas with the fresh, herby goodness of spinach pesto. Whether you’re a busy professional or a home cook looking to impress, this recipe is sure to satisfy your cravings for something both healthy and delicious.
I love pesto, but don’t make it very often because basil leaves are so tender and go bad so quickly. Often times I want to make pesto and buy a bunch of basil, but sometimes my schedule gets busy and then within a day or two, the leaves are starting to turn black. Spinach is much stronger and can stay in the refrigerator for several days before I get around to making the pesto.
Since I love pesto so much, I always buy a big bunch of spinach whenever I go grocery shopping. First of all, I love spinach and use it in so many different ways – everything from rice to smoothies, but I love to make Spinach Pesto.
Although basil pesto is the classic Italian version, modern pesto’s can be made from a variety of green herbs and vegetables like spinach, cilantro, parsley, kale and beet greens. Here is my version of Spinach Pesto and how to incorporate it into a quick and easy Vegetarian pasta dinner. In addition to pasta, pesto is such a versatile condiment. The store bought versions are usually more dry, but in this wetter version that I make, you can use it as salad dressing, pizza base (instead of Marinara) and a dip with fried foods like this Fried Ravioli or Italian Chickpea Fritters
Spinach Pesto Pasta
- Pesto Ingredients:
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 head garlic peeled
- 4 cups spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup shelled pistacchios
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pasta Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 1 sprig oregano leaves
- 15.5 oz. can chickpeas
- 3 cups cooked bowtie pasta
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- To make the pesto, combine garlic with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in an oven safe dish.
- Roast for 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Combine roasted garlic with spinach, pistacchios, red pepper and salt in a food processor. Blend to chop.
- While the processor is running, slowly add the remaining olive oil until well blended.
- To make the pasta, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add tomato and oregano. Saute for about 5 minutes, until tomatoes are softened.
- Add 2/3 cup of the pesto and fry for a few minutes.
- Add chickpeas and cooked pasta. Toss to combine.
- Adjust salt and pepper, as necessary.
- Add cheese and toss to combine.
Don’t forget to visit the RECIPE INDEX with over 1000 recipes from around the world including lots of Vegetarian Recipes and Gluten Free Recipes!