Last Updated on January 31, 2021 by Chef Mireille
This post may include affiliate links.
Cheese Stuffed Hungarian Wax Peppers are such a quick and easy recipe to make. It’s perfect for game day or whenever you need a delicious party appetizer.
Do you love spicy food? Then you have to get onto the Hungarian Wax Pepper train!
This easy to make appetizer will spice up your next party or get-together! You can even serve them as a side dish for dinner with some roasted potatoes and sauteed cabbage or Hungarian Cabbage Paprikash. They are so delicious that they might just become your new favorite recipe!
These stuffed peppers are filled with cheese, making them extra tasty. And because they’re baked in the oven instead of fried, they’re healthier than other appetizers too. So what are you waiting for? Get started on this recipe today! You won’t regret it when everyone starts asking for seconds at your next event.
Last weekend, I went to the Union Square Greenmarket, NYC’s largest farmers market. Of course, there are a variety of fruits and vegetables available. I was even super excited to find a new Indian vendor that had things like lauki (bottle gourd), karela (bitter melon) and gongura (sorrel).
However, it was raining peppers and tomatoes. It is definitely pepper season. Every variety of pepper was available and I picked up a bunch of Hungarian wax peppers.
Hungarian Wax Peppers
When most of us think of European cuisines, we don’t think of spicy food. However, Hungary is an exception with their love of hot paprika and wax peppers.
The batch I purchased had 7000 Scoville units, the units used to measure how hot peppers are. This means they are hotter than the average jalapeno.
Hungarians love these peppers and use them in a variety of ways including stuffing and pickling. So if you’ve been looking for some delicious Hungarian Wax Pepper Recipes, this is the one you must try!
Filled with a creamy cheesy filling, the heat is balanced by the cheese in these Sajtos Töltött Paprika – Hungarian Stuffed Peppers. These make a great side dish or party appetizer.
They can also serve as the centerpiece of the meal if it is Meatless Monday. Serve it with a green salad or Haluska.
- Hungarian Wax peppers
- farmers cheese or Ricotta
- Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese
- olive oil
HOW TO MAKE Hungarian Stuffed Peppers
The peppers are oozing with cheesy goodness and yet the peppers remain so juicy.
The juices burst out as you bite into the peppers.
Hungarian Stuffed Wax Peppers
- 10 Hungarian Wax peppers
- 1 cup farmers cheese or Ricotta
- ½ cup grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 2 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a baking sheet/cookie sheet with non stick spray or line with parchment paper.
- Make a slit along each pepper, leaving both the head and tail intact.
- By hand, remove the seeds and rinse out the inside of the pepper.
- To make the filling, combine farmer’s cheese, Pecorino, eggs, salt, parsley and garlic in a bowl.
- Mix well until thoroughly combined.
- Stuff each pepper with the filling.
- Place the stuffed peppers on prepared baking sheet.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the peppers.
- Bake for 30 minutes until cheese is melted and peppers have started to brown.
Don’t forget to visit the RECIPE INDEX with over 1000 recipes from around the world including lots of Vegetarian Recipes and Gluten Free Recipes!