Last Updated on November 13, 2019 by Chef Mireille
Garlic Herb Baked Halloumi – Baking Halloumi with garlic and herbs is a way to pump up the flavor of this cooking cheese from Cypress. Serve it with roasted potatoes for a complete breakfast.
This post may include affiliate links.
In the pre Thanksgiving craze where everyone is planning their menus, a few of my cooking groups had people posting messages looking for vegetarian alternatives to turkey. Immediately what came to my mind were cooking cheeses like paneer and halloumi.
Halloumi is one of my favorite cooking cheese. It is a firm brined cheese from Cypress, usually available at Middle Eastern markets or gourmet supermarkets like Fairway and Whole Foods. I usually just cook it stove top as pan seared slices. As it’s comes in a mint infused brine and is salted, you can have as is without the need for additional seasoning. However, that doesn’t mean additional flavor would be a bad thing. In this method, additional flavor is baked into the halloumi for over the top flavorful slices.
Don’t forget to check out the links below for more ways to use halloumi!
IN THE MAKING
These baked halloumi slices were great accompanied by leftover Thanksgiving trimmings like roasted potatoes and cranberry sauce.
If you would like to check out other ways to incorporate halloumi into your meals, check out these recipes with halloumi!
Garlic Herb Baked Halloumi
- 1 stalks oregano
- 2 stalks rosemary or any variety of mixed herbs
- 1 finely chopped garlic clove
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 9 oz. sliced halloumi
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Finely chop the leaves of the oregano and rosemary. Chopped herbs should measure 2 teaspoons.
- In a small bowl, combine herbs, garlic and olive oil. Stir to combine.
- Brush a little of the olive oil mixture on the bottom of a cookie sheet.
- Lay out the slices of halloumi on top.
- Brush the rest of the olive oil mixture on top of the halloumi slices.
- Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Flip over and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with roasted potatoes.
Need more culinary inspiration? Check out the Recipe Index with over 1500 Recipes from Around the World with lots of Vegetarian 🥕🍆🍅and Gluten Free Recipes!