Last Updated on June 17, 2021 by Chef Mireille
Southern Fried Green Tomatoes with Coriander Basil Mayo
My version of this classic American southern recipe is a little spiced up. It’s perfect for any kind of party – Super Bowl Parties, Summer Barbecues…Try Southern Fried Green Tomatoes with Coriander Basil Mayo and this will become a regular item at your table.
Fall is the most beautiful season in the Northeast with fall foliage everywhere – beautiful golds, oranges, reds and browns are everywhere. Even for those who live in New York City, this is the time of year when everybody is taking day trips out to Long Island or upstate New York, to get away from the city. A favorite excursion for these day trips is to visit one of the many U-Pick farms. At these farms, you can go through their orchards and pick apples, pumpkins and whatever other fruits and vegetables the farm grows.
I visited one of these farms on the weekend and in addition to the many varieties of apples I picked, I also got a great bunch of green tomatoes. I made a wonderful batch of Fried Green Tomatoes. Yes, it is a popular food in the South; not just a book and a movie. Fried Green Tomatoes are a classic southern food, however, I created a spiced up version of this American classic.
The next time you see some green tomatoes at your local Farmer’s Market, don’t pass them up for the juicy red ones. Instead, make this delicious appetizer. Green tomatoes are usually at the farmer’s markets from early summer-early fall. Perfect as an accompaniment to soup, for a middle of the week winter dinner.
Why stop at Green Tomatoes? Here are some other fritter ideas to serve at your next party…
- Finnish Golden Beet Fritters
- Beet Chickpea Patties
- Turkish Fish Fritters
- Ponducherry (Indian) Shrimp Fritters
So crispy and crunchy – the perfect fritter!
You can also enjoy these most delicious Fried Green Tomatoes with Remoulade Sauce!
Fried Green Tomatoes with Coriander Basil Mayo
Coriander Basil Mayo Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 6 basil leaves chiffonade
- Oil for frying
- Slice tomatoes into thick slices.
- Mix cornmeal, rice flour, salt, pepper, parsley and ginger in a shallow bowl or plate
- In a separate shallow bowl, whisk eggs and milk together.
- In a large skillet, heat enough oil to deep fry tomatoes. Once oil is hot, dip tomatoes, one slice at a time, in the egg mixture and then coat well with the flour mixture. Place in the hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 5-6 minutes.
- Remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain the excess oil.
- To make mayo, combine mayonnaise and coriander. Whisk to combine. Using a rubber spatula, fold in basil.
- Serve tomatoes with the mayo.
Need more culinary inspiration? Check out the Recipe Index with over 1500 Recipes from Around the World with lots of Vegetarian 🥕🍆🍅and Gluten Free Recipes!