Last Updated on April 1, 2019 by Chef Mireille
This crumble which started off as a granola bar still makes a great snack or topping for yogurt, oatmeal or ice cream.
Sometimes kitchen flops turn into surprisingly delicious treats, even if the end result was not our original intention. I made granola bars once before and these Sweet Potato Granola Bars were a big hit. This time around I experimented with a different combination of binding and well, it didn’t bind. Instead it turned into a delicious crumble. You can snack on it as is or use as a topping for yogurt or ice cream. Before we get to it, here’s my inspiration for this combination of ingredients!
I love granola bars but it is so hard for me to find ones I can eat. Some of them are so sweet and loaded with candy that they almost cancel out the health benefits of the oats. Many of them are so full of mixed nuts like almonds, cashew, pecans, walnuts and Brazil nuts that I can already feel my throat constricting just reading the list of ingredients. Yes, I have major nut allergies, however one of the few nuts that I have no problems with is peanuts, perhaps because it is not really a tree nut like the others, but a legume.
For others like me who are allergic to nuts but not legumes, these peanutty granola bars are ones you can happily dig into. Not only are they loaded with peanuts, but also full of coconut flavor. My parents are from the Caribbean and instead of PB&J sandwiches, I grew up with peanut butter and coconut sandwiches, two of my Mom’s favorite ingredients. A few years ago I discovered this coconut peanut butter spread from Earth Balance and I love the coconut flavor in it, so used it in these instead of plain ole boring peanut butter. My Mom had thought up this combination long before Earth Balance. Too bad she did not market it way back then 🙂
How to Make Coconut Peanut Crumble
When you have a craving for something sweet but is still high in protein and fiber so you don’t feel too guilty, this is a good option!
Coconut Peanut Crumble
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 2 ½ tablespoons water
- ½ cup coconut peanut butter spread
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup melted butter
- 2 cups oats
- ½ cup dry roasted peanuts chopped
- 2 tablespoons dessicated coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the water and the flaxseed.
- In a large bowl, combine coconut peanut butter spread, brown sugar, honey and butter. Whisk together well until thoroughly combined.
- Add flaxseed and mix well.
- Add oats and peanuts. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Spray a 9×13 brownie pan with non stick spray. Spread mix in a thin layer in the pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Crumble the mix.
- Cool in the refrigerator.
- Scrape to produce a crumble.
- Add coconut and mix until thoroughly combined.
Don’t forget to visit the RECIPE INDEX with over 1000 recipes from around the world including lots of Vegetarian Recipes and Gluten Free Recipes!