Last Updated on December 14, 2020 by Chef Mireille
Chilli Paneer is one of the most popular dishes of Indo-Chinese cuisine. Try it at home yourself today!
Have you ever had Indo-Chinese cuisine? Well it is exactly what it sounds like – Indian Chinese Cuisine. The Chinese have gone just about everywhere in the world and everywhere they go, they take the base of their cuisine with them.
However the cuisine is adapted to local ingredients and local palates. There’s Cuban Chinese food, Peruvian Chinese Food, Trini Chinese Food, Afghani Chinese food and so much more. These are just a few I’ve tried available here in NYC.
One of the most popular Indo-Chinese dishes are the Chilli dishes. Chilli Paneer, Chilli Chicken, Chilli Bhindi (okra) and the list goes on…
Chilli Chicken is one of the required dishes that’s always available at any Indian restaurant buffet, as long as it’s not a Vegetarian restaurant. It’s not very spicy and slightly sweet and therefore, has mass appeal. Here’s the most popular Vegetarian Chilli dish.
IN THE MAKING – HOW TO MAKE CHILLI PANEER
This is the perfect fusion of two great culinary traditions from India and China,
- 8 oz. diced paneer
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 chopped onion
- 4 green chiles split
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 chopped small red bell pepper
- 1/2 chopped large green bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon green chilli sauce
- In a large bowl, combine flour, 2 tablespoons of the cornstarch, garlic, pepper, salt and 6 tablespoons water to make a thick paste.
- Place paneer in the paste and let it marinate for 10 minutes. Heat enough oil for deep frying in a wok or skillet. Remove the paneer pieces from the marinade. Place in the hot oil and fry until golden brown. Remove to a paper towel lined plate.
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons of oil in the skillet. Add ginger and garlic paste and fry for 1 minute.
- Add onion and fry until golden. Add soy sauce, sugar, tomato sauce and chilli sauce.
- Add bell peppers and chillies. Fry for 5 minutes, until the peppers start to char.
- Add paneer pieces and cook for another 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the remaining cornstarch in 3 tablespoons of water. Add this to skillet and cook for another 2 minutes.
SHARE THIS DELICIOUS RECIPE WITH YOUR FOODIE FRIENDS
Need more culinary inspiration? Check out the Recipe Index with over 1500 Recipes from Around the World with lots of Vegetarian 🥕🍆🍅and Gluten Free Recipes!
Ready to try making Chilli Paneer? I would love to see your pics. Tag me on Instagram @chefmireille #theschizochef #chefmireille
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#47
Thst dish makes me drool..love it any time of the day.
The sound of that name makes my mouth water. Like the way you resented it too.
Awesome combination Mir..and so nicely done as well!
This looks great !! Love to grab straight away from my laptop screen..
Wonderful chilly paneer, who can resist to this beautiful dish, delicious..
Tasty chilli paneer .
What a tempting and addictive appetizer. Perfectly made!!
A perfect combo !!
That is one perfect combo that I am so tempted to dig into! Looks awesome.
Rafeeda - The Big Sweet Tooth
Such a delicious looking chilli paneer! I wouldn’t even need a side dish to enjoy that bowl of goodness…
I agree – It is just as delicious on its own!
I love paneer – nice to have a new recipe to make with it!
This is one of my favorite paneer recipes and I am sure you will love it as much as I do!
Wow.. looks spicy and nice.. I would love to eat it like a snack..
it is such a quick and delicious recipe for any time!
Looks delicious. Chili paneer is one dish I always order if I am eating at a Indi Chinese kind of a restaurant. I have tried making it but not managed to get the right taste. I just realised that it could be the marinating process that I don’t tend to pay attention to.
Try this version – I am sure you will like it!
I would love to pick the whole bowl. too tempting and mouthwatering. Lovely colors.
Thank you – a very simple yet oh so delicious dish!