Last Updated on September 2, 2021 by Chef Mireille
This post may include affiliate links.
Carrot Green Bean Poriyal is a quick and easy South Indian style vegetable stir fry. This Vegetarian side dish can easily compliment any meal.
Curry leaves are used a lot in South Indian cooking, but not always readily available here in the US. If you can’t find fresh curry leaves, dried curry leaves can be reconstituted in hot water. However, the flavor won’t be as fresh and flavorful as the fresh curry leaves.
The closest herb in flavor to curry leaves in Thai basil. This would also be a good substitute if you cannot source fresh curry leaves.
Here are some other poriyals and vegetable side dishes that can be made to complete your Indian meal.
Indian Vegetarian Side Dishes
- Plantain Cabbage Poriyal
- Cabbage Foogath
- Chana Fugad with French Beans
- Bengali Bottle Gourd Curry
- Okra Masala
- Bengali Potato Poppy Seed Curry
- Ginger Chickpeas
- Cabbage Fennel Stir Fry
- Fennel & Ginger Cauliflower
HOW TO MAKE CARROT GREEN BEAN PORIYAL
Serve with rice and your favorite curry.
Indian Carrot Green Bean Stir Fry
- 2 medium carrots peeled and cut into small pieces (about 11/4 cups)
- 4 oz.green beans trimmed and cut into small pieces (about 1 cup)
- 2 green chiles thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated coconut or frozen grated coconut, defrosted
- 1/2 cup water
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons urad dal hulled and split black lentils
- 1 dried red chiles
- 6 curry leaves
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add mustard seeds. As soon as they stop sputtering, add urad dal and cook for 1 minute until they turn golden brown.
- Add red chile and curry leaves. After a few seconds, add carrot, beans and green chiles.
- Add water and salt. Cook on medium heat for about 8 minutes, until vegetables are fork tender, stirring occasionally. All the water should have evaporated.
- Add coconut and stir to combine.
Don’t forget to visit the RECIPE INDEX with over 1000 recipes from around the world including lots of Vegetarian Recipes and Gluten Free Recipes!