Last Updated on May 30, 2015 by Chef Mireille
Don’t you love it when a failed recipe turns into something just as delicious or even more so than what you had originally planned?
This started out as a recipe for Qureebaad, Somalian butter cookies. However, the recipe I followed did not work. The recipe called for putting together the cookies in the refrigerator log style. The original dough was only a mixture of melted butter, powdered sugar, flour and cardamom.
I followed the recipe exactly as written and shaped the dough into a log to be put in the refrigerator for 1/2 hour. A half hour later I removed the log from the fridge and attempted to slice the log into discs, but the dough was just crumbling – it would not slice. What to do? Create a new cookie recipe, of course!
Add a few more ingredients and create my new cookie recipe. WOW – these tasted so good and now they are a favorite with my family. Definitely a kid friendly cookie.
The bonus is they are so quick and easy to put together. The kids can probably make it themselves.
Until I perfect a recipe for Qureebaad, these will make a delicious substitute.
How to make Cardamom Butter Cookies
These make delicious holiday cookies.
These came out very good and they were gone in the blink of an eye!
Cardamom Shortbread Cookies
- 1 cup butter melted
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons tuttti frutti candied fruit
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Place a piece of parchment paper on cookie sheet and spray with non stick spray.
- Melt butter. Combine butter and sugar in a large bowl and mix until combined.
- Add flour, baking powder and cardamom and mix.
- Mix until the ingredients are well combined.
- Take 1 tablespoon at a time and form into a ball. Place on the prepared cookie sheet and press down the balls a little. Sprinkle a little of the tutti frutti in the center of each cookie.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the bottom of the cookies are light golden brown.
- Leave to cool. Remove from cookie sheet and serve.
Don’t forget to visit the RECIPE INDEX with over 1000 recipes from around the world including lots of Vegetarian Recipes and Gluten Free Recipes!